iPhone Screen Problems

Posted July 23, 2007 8:00 AM by Jovan Washington
Categories: Problems Touchscreen

As I was browsing the many iPhone forums, I came across a rather popular problem that is occurring on iPhone screens. Many people are complaining that their iPhone is experiencing a faint grid on their screen. Many users have not said anything because they thought it was normal, but after seeing that it is not all iPhone, but some, others are starting to worry.

The problem is said to occur on units with a display model number of 7455232. It is described as little white dots in a checkered pattern all over the screen. Although not all 7-series display model numbers are experiencing that particular problem, but may be experiencing different contrast ratios.

If you are experiencing any of the problems on your iPhone, it is recommended to contact Apple Support (after trying the steps Apple recommends you do before contacting them) and they should will help you.

Comments

1. So how do you determine your display model number?  Can you?

Posted by Dick Spellman on July 23, 2007 8:45 AM
  2. I have this as well and is very hard to notice under certain conditions. I assumed it was the touch grid itself. Very interesting.

Posted by Tanner Godarzi on July 23, 2007 9:07 AM
  3. Where is the display model number displayed? I looked in the “About” settings and don’t see it there.

Posted by Adam J. Bezark on July 23, 2007 11:20 AM
  4. From what I have heard about this, people have gone in to Apple stores only to be turned away.  The employees see other iPhones in the store that have this lightly visible grid and refuse to exchange saying it is normal.  I do slightly see a grid in the background on my phone, but it is only on certain screens at an angle.  I am wondering if Apple will bring this up eventually since they seem to be getting a lot of complaints about it.

For those who are trying to find out what version you have it is found under field mode.  To get to field mode, dial *3001#12345#*  and look under versions.  I have not done this on my phone because people are unsure if entering field mode will do anything to the iPhone that may have an impact of performance or something else.  If you wish to do so, be aware that you are doing it at your own risk.

Posted by Chris on July 23, 2007 12:00 PM
  5. @Chris, this true? I hope not, I am going later to swap it out, Apple Care said that would be my best bet. If they do turn me down, they better prepare themselves.

Posted by Tanner Godarzi on July 23, 2007 1:06 PM
  6. I have 7 series and it is absolutley fine. Unless i’m missing something this whole “issue” just seems silly to me.

Posted by krimpet on July 23, 2007 1:11 PM
  7. Tanner…

I have read in a few different blogs and forums around the web that people have been turned away because I don’t believe Apple has publicly addressed this problem yet.  Some people have also been lucky and the employees have allowed them to exchange the iPhone.  One thing I would recommend is testing the new iPhone in store(if they allow you to exchange).  Good luck though, I think if more and more people go in and complain then there is a better chance of Apple allowing more exchanges.

Posted by Chris on July 23, 2007 1:27 PM
  8. Two of my brothers and I bought three iPhones the day they came out. When we all powered up our phones and played with them for a few hours I immediatly noticed that one of my brothers iPhones’ resolution was a bit brighter. My other brother’s phone was just like mine, so i thought maybe the oddball in the group was the phones that was flawed, so i paid no mind, untill I noticed the dredded “polka dots” last night.. I got that sickness in my stomach.. You all know what I’m talking about.. I researched this on the web to find that many others were having this same problem. I called apple this morning and described my problem, the person I spoke with had not heard of this gridlike backdrop, BUT they were suprising understanding, they are now over-nighting me a BRAND NEW iPhone, we will see tomorrow morning if my fresh phone is polka dotted..

Posted by Gregg Gohmann on July 23, 2007 8:23 PM
  9. My screen is completely out. The screen comes on but then nothing will work.  I can unlock it but then it will not let me go into anything.  I’m going to the AT&T store today so hopefully they can correct this.

Posted by DANIELLE on August 8, 2007 9:21 AM
  10. Sorry to hear that Danielle. I hope you get that fixed. Let us know what the problem was. Thanks.

Posted by Jovan Washington on August 8, 2007 10:05 AM
  11. Argh, I got my iPhone 3 days ago, but when I try getting to “My Contacts” and some other things, it won’t work! I’m so mad! I spent $500 for this..

Posted by Joanne on October 9, 2007 5:49 PM
  12. I’ve had the same problem but now my screen is blacked out? Not sure what the problem is but the place where I bought it won’t exchange or give me my money back!

Posted by Tim W. on October 17, 2007 1:20 AM
  13. This is just the start apparently Apple is selling screens that were a failure to start with. Not good news

Posted by John on October 29, 2007 7:06 PM
  14. my screen went dead and apple does not want to exchange or refund me anything ....i think apple should only make ipods,,,,this is a nightmare ...i paid 1,000 dollars for this piece of junk ...i should probebly buy another one and use them for street fights they are touch and heavy for nothing

Posted by RAMZI BARAKAT on October 31, 2007 1:46 AM
  15. My wife’s phone has this problem.  But it’s getting worse by the day.  Now her entire screen is “foggy”.

I did the field test on the phone by Dialing *3001#12345#* and Called.
    It brought up a bunch of information including the Version #7455232

My phone also has the screen version number, but the phone is still fine.

My Thanks to Chris’s post of July 23, 2007 2:00 PM

Jerry

Posted by Jerry Baillie on October 31, 2007 9:59 PM
  16. My iphone screen is blacked out but i still recieve calls but the apple store said that i’ve to buy another phone since my phone has a dent in it (it happened long time back). They dont have service to repair/replace the screen & they said they cannot help me that i’ve to buy a refurbrished or a new one…this is too costly for a phone & its the worst customer service i’ve seen

Posted by Sam on December 7, 2007 2:28 PM
  17. when i push the phone button i try to dail phone automaticlly come to main manu.
    when some body call me phone go to surching mode no ring recive. after that phone show the miss call but when i try to see miss call the phone again come to main manu.
    so plz suggest me what i do..?

Posted by A.Rehman on January 9, 2008 11:11 AM
  18. My iPhone touchscreen cycles on and off constantly even after I press the button on the top of the phone to turn the screen off. Has anyone else experienced this issue and is there a fix?

Posted by Mike on March 14, 2008 3:54 PM
  19. my iphone screen every time I turn it on and want to slide to unlock it doesnt work, could someone help me.
    thanks
    Natalia

Posted by natalia on March 28, 2008 2:51 PM
  20. My iPhone screen will not respond to touch in any application(phone, safari, sms, etc) the home screen still scrolls, but thats it….

Donovan

Posted by Donovan Knowles on May 9, 2008 5:53 AM
  21. I bought my iPhone while on holidays a few months go. However 2 days ago I realized that my phone has a dead strip in the middle. E.g when using the phone the keys 7,8 and 9 don,t work. Same goes for scrolling in that area. Has anyone experienced the same. I called apple support in the U.S and they have asked me to send it back to them. A big hassle for overseas users

Posted by Syed on May 18, 2008 12:30 PM
  22. Good news

Thank you for the informations..!!

kraloyun