Is a 16GB iPhone Enough?

Posted December 27, 2007 7:00 AM by Gregory Ng
Categories: Rumor

There is a rumor going around these days that states Apple will announce a 16GB iPhone at MacWorld next month. Which got me thinking…is 16GB enough? Or, is it necessary?

LIke any thing, the more space someone gives you, the more you will fill it. You could have a 5000 square foot house and you will find a way to furnish it. Same goes for my 80GB iPod. My 20GB iPod was enough space for all the music I thought I needed. Then when I had 60 more gigs to deal with, I quickly filled it with movies and photos.

So now I have an 8GB iPhone and I have yet to max out the capacity. I have over 30 apps installed through my jailbroken iPhone. Granted I don’t have much music or movies loaded on it deferring to my iPod Video for those things. Yet, i am sure I can fill the space of another 8GB with random stuff should iI have more capacity.

What do you think? Is 16GB enough room for everything you need for your iPhone?

Comments

1. I do fine with my 4GB personally.

Posted by Jody on December 27, 2007 8:36 AM
  2. I for one look forward to the day when I can carry most if not all of my iTunes library on my iPhone. While I know this day will not come soon enough for me as the current size of my library is around 110 GB, all purchased legally via CD’s or purchases from iTunes.

One of the aspect I love about my iPod is it’s ability to just drop it in the dock and not having to think about what I wanted to put on it, everything was just there.

Since I travel at least every week I can never tell what I am going to feel like listening too. Having my entire library with me allows me to have it all.

Just my 2 cents.

Posted by Corey McLaughlin on December 27, 2007 9:12 AM
  3. Making iTunes easier to add single items would allow me to do much more with less. As it is now, I EVERYTHING on one iPod, which is only synched to add new stuff—nice. iPhone only carries a sliver of this content.

When video becomes ubiquitous, then more storage memory is a must. I can imagine non-traditional vending machines acting as servers for a quick reload of content—via WiFi. (USA Today or Wall Street Journal would be ideal purveyors of this technology!)

I would kill my cable TV and buy daily Fox news downloads if Apple “rented” TV episodes and news programs for a quarter. Let them expire in a week… I would subscribe to the entire season.

Posted by Dave on December 27, 2007 10:00 AM
  4. Fox? Get a Life

Posted by byronchurch on December 27, 2007 10:34 AM
  5. I have an 8G, that I keep pretty full with TV shows and movies. Since you can’t really watch more than 3-4 shows on a charge before docking anyways, its not that big a deal, however, I hope Apple moves to eSATA or the new USB/Firewire specs sooner rather than later-synching movies and TV shows really slows down the whole “plug/sync/go” idea of the iPod/iPhone. Now its more like “plug/sync….wait…wait…wait…then go” :p

Posted by MacBooker on December 27, 2007 10:55 AM
  6. I’ve found that for a portable device, around 25GB is about right.

Posted by Ronjamin on December 27, 2007 2:57 PM
  7. Would be nice if the iphone had an sd slot, then memory wouldnt be a problem, 10 8 gig sd cards would hold 80 gig, and take up no more room then a book of matches, maybe even a case would be designed to hold the cards as well.

Posted by Steve on December 27, 2007 10:56 PM