The Dropped iPhone Support Group

Posted December 3, 2007 9:00 AM by Gregory Ng
Categories: News

One of the worst things happened to me yesterday. I dropped my iPhone. Here’s my story:
I keep my iPhone dock on a shelf above one of my kitchen counters. I keep high up so my kids don’t go and accidentally yank it down. Last night I came home late and the lights were turned off in my kitchen. I dropped my keys in the designated key bowl and before I went upstairs to go to bed, I took my iPhone out of my iPhone case and tried to put it in its dock to recharge overnight.

I pushed the iPhone into the dock and as I pushed it down to start charging I quickly realized that I had missed the actual dock. As I mentioned before it was dark.  Propelled by my push to start charging in the dock, my baby hit the shelf, dropped down to the kitchen counter, clipped the counter, and then hit the hardwood of my kitchen floor.

I gasped. I broke out in a cold sweat. I turned on the light and saw my precious iPhone face down on the floor like a murder victim sprawled out on the sidewalk. I slowly overturned it to survey the damage. Fortunately it did not have any cracks or scratches but it rattled me pretty good. Thank god for great materials and solid industrial design by Apple.

Looks like I escaped damage but I’m sure I am not the only one that has accidentally dropped their iPhone. Tell us your stories.

Comments

1. I can relate. While carrying a real baby on vacation, I dropped the phone onto the rock terrace walkway. Ka-chunk, ka-chunk, skid, skid.  From about 4 feet up. Nick opposite corners. Works just fine.

Posted by R. Thompson on December 3, 2007 9:58 AM
  2. I’ve dropped my iPhone three times in the 4 months I’ve had it. Once face down on a cement road in front of a crowd. Other than a few superficial scratches on the chrome, it’s held up well, considering.

The last time I dropped it, it was in it’s leather Belkin case so I wasn’t as freaked. I checked it and it was ok. Hours later, I woke it up and the screen flashed then went dead, briefly showing a half charged battery. “This is it,” I thought. I rebooted (which took forever) and it was ok.

Posted by Dead Robot on December 3, 2007 10:01 AM
  3. It depends on how it hits the ground.  I’ve dropped it accidentally a bunch of times and it was fine, but last month I went to grab it from a high bookshelf while I was cleaning and it flipped mid-air and hit the ground flat on it’s face.  CRACK!  The entire glass front was shattered like a windshield in a head-on collision.  Learn my lesson - get your iPhone insured!!!!  It only costs about $40 a year and Apple does not repair iPhones.  They replace them for $250.00!  Insure your phone and invest in a case.

Posted by Joe on December 3, 2007 10:33 AM
  4. where are you getting your IPhone insured? When I contacted AT&T they said they wouldn’t insure it because of price.

Posted by Heath on December 3, 2007 1:07 PM
  5. I have dropped mine three or four times, including once edge-down onto pavement and once when a drunkard in a bar hit the elbow of my iPhone-holding arm with such force as to dislodge the iPhone, bounce it off a bar stool, and send it skittering face-down a full yard across the beer-sticky floor.

It works fine.

Posted by Matthew on December 3, 2007 1:39 PM
  6. Heath - I went thru my insurance company, State Farm.  It’s a separate policy for expensive items.  You fax your receipt and it’s insured for $250 to $500 depending on what you’ll need to replace it.  Only about $35 a year and trust me when I say it’s worth it when the next time the iPhone drops you find your luck has run out!  It’s not fun paying $250 to replace a phone you only recently paid $400-$600 for!

Posted by Joe on December 3, 2007 1:48 PM
  7. Greg, you need to get a dockable case, that way you never have to take your baby out to charge. I’m ashamed to say, but I think I would cry like a little school girl if my phone looked like the iPhone in that picture. Almost like someone taking $500 from my wallet and lighting it on fire, not that I carry more than $5 on me at all times.

Posted by Omar Correa on December 3, 2007 2:38 PM
  8. I was proudly on vacation in New Zealand in October with the correct overseas roaming plan (only an extra $31 for the month for unlimited data and roaming calls on Vodafone).  After paragliding, street luging, and going under a waterfall in the Milford Sound, I thought I had weathered everything.

On the way home at the Auckland Airport, after going through security, I went to pull my phone out of my carry-on bag and it leaped for the tile floor under me.  Luckliy, the DLO case helped to absorb the impact and I have a little “character” ding near the headphone port.  It worked just fine on the 12 hour flight to LA and beyond!

Posted by Mark on December 3, 2007 2:49 PM
  9. I’ve dropped my iPhone a couple of times with absolutely no damage. I dropped my wife’s once that gave it a little bruise. Both times nearly stopped my heart. But I’ve never felt that sinking feeling so much as when I thought I had totally creamed my wife’s pride and joy.

My advice is to NEVER use a belt clip. I’m sorry, they are just crap. I’ll never trust them.

I’ve kept mine in my pocket with no case (just a screen shield) and it still looks as good as the day (June 29th) I picked it up. I am looking for a case, but more for looks and weather protection.

Posted by vdubya on December 3, 2007 10:51 PM
  10. u think that scratch is bad?

ok apple is one of the best and most confusing companies at the same time. one time, my friend was like let me see ur iphone, and to be cool i held it up in front of him dramatically. it would’ve looked cool had it not slipped out of my hands. it fell into his hands before dropping to the floor face down, (tile) rolling 10 feet, then sliding face down under someone’s foot as they were walking. not a scratch on the front, 2 tiny ones on the back. today i missed my pocket as i went to put it away falls onto a wood floor the entire half of the screen is shattered. works fine tho. weird. it’s getting replaced tomorrow. it stinks that apple doesn’t covered screen cracks. i gotta pay 250 for a new one (subtracting the discount i get from when i give them this one)

Posted by Dan Kahn on December 8, 2007 8:18 PM
  11. Hi. i Just dropped my iphone for the first time and the 1st two rows of icons are not touch sensitive anymore. Any tips?

Posted by jaime on January 21, 2008 2:10 AM
  12. Even i just dropped my iPhone for the first time - just one month after i bought it :( - and the 1st two rows of icons are not touch sensitive anymore. Any solutions out there?

Posted by Mohit Narain on March 11, 2008 11:19 AM
  13. Mohit - I’m afraid it may be broken.  Apple does not repair iPhones, they replace it for $250.  As I said in my previous post, please find a way to insure it.  My insurance company, State Farm, has a policy for it.

Posted by Joe on March 11, 2008 12:29 PM
  14. I droped my iphone somehow the other day from my pocket to the nice wet concrete ground outside. Quite a little gash on the corner and I got a few scratches on my camera lens. soooo my question is - since this bothers me so damn much, can i call apple and be like i want a new phone and pay them 250$ or is that only for like huge problems like cracked screens?

Posted by mary on March 22, 2008 2:02 PM
  15. i just dropped mine about an hour ago and the bottom of the screen(unlock slider) is out. am i screwed too? my 2nd bill is due today coincedentally… :(

Posted by craig on March 28, 2008 6:40 AM
  16. Dropped my iPhone for the second time in 4 months, this time onto a hardwood floor from a height of about 3 feet. It still works, but seems to have hit on its bottom right corner (when looking at the screen). I now have a “bubble” of delamination in that corner of the touch-sensitive screen. It’s out of the way of anything important, but I am watching it carefully to make sure it’s not getting worse. It does seem a little larger area today than yesterday after the drop.

Posted by thomas a on April 2, 2008 12:09 PM
  17. Ah… I dropped my iPhone on the street after having it for just 10 days… Needless to say I was depressed for the rest of the day. It has no problems at all except for a dent on the top right side and a couple of scratches on the corners, so I guess I will have to live with it. The dent is not visible when looking at the phone from the front, but knowing it’s there is so annoying. I found a replacement back cover on ifixit.com and thinking about replacing it. Has anyone else done that?

Posted by MechaNikos on April 2, 2008 2:28 PM
  18. Ok I just dropped my iPhone for the 2nd time. 1st time was on gravel and it survived. This time I dropped it on hardwood floor. The home button does not take me to the home screen and it will not charge. Will I be able to replace this for $250, or have to get buy a completely new one?

Posted by Trahannn on April 3, 2008 10:15 PM
  19. i dropped my iphone just this morning and it hit the ground with a solid thud.  now, i couldn’t accept calls and text messages. the sound is not working anymore (like when you enter your code..or increase the volume). there are times that it just went black..the problem is, i already have it unlocked and the warranty is now void.  i’m really devastated

Posted by Gnihc on April 27, 2008 1:51 AM
  20. i just dropped my iphone like 10 minutes ago and the side button that makes the volume go mute ect. went inwards. is there a way to pull it out?

Posted by washannanan on May 17, 2008 5:13 PM