The iPhone is One Right Puerto Ricans Do Not Have

Posted May 14, 2007 10:14 AM by Gregory Ng
Categories: News

imagePuerto Ricans might be American citizens. They may be able to serve in the armed forces and they may be able to pay with the Benjamins. But they can’t get the iPhone.

At least that is what one can determine for themselves when they view Cingular’s Puerto Rican website. The main Cingular website has a prominently displayed iPhone teaser page front and center. But the Puerto Rican one carries no such mention.

So I decided to try and verify this assumption. When calling the main customer service number: 1-888-333-6651, I was met with 3 rounds of voicemail prompts before being put on hold for longer than I could handle.

So I decided to call the “Customers with international service questions” number: 1-800-335-4685. After 20 minutes on hold I finally spoke to a customer service rep who told me that right now, Puerto Rican customers will not be able to purchase the iPhone in Puerto Rico. They can, however, get the iPhone in the continental U.S. and use it in Puerto Rico taking advantage of the “100 million AT&T wireless customers”.

Comments

1. Wroooooong!! There are already banners and some “Coming in june 29th” teasers in a few puerto rican AT&T stores!!!

Posted by Manuel on June 8, 2007 6:59 AM
  2. Looks like Gregory didn’t have anything to write on the Forum so he made up the fake story.

Called Cingular / ATT in PR just minutes ago.  After a brief wait, a representative told me that iPhone will be sold in PR with a 2 year contract at a cost of $600. Will be available during the first days of july due to inventory processing and system verifications.

Also told me that iPhone will work for the following years on EDGE technology and not in 3rd generation since ATT in PR hasn’t finished upgrading their systems.  Won’t be able to have communications between iPhones nor be able to use Cingular video, among other features.  They might have 3rd generations features for next year.

Posted by Ciclismodemontepr on June 8, 2007 9:15 AM
  3. Hey guys, that great news. When I called Cingular in May (when I wrote this post) they told me at that point, they were not planning on having the iPhone to sell. Glad to hear things changed.

Posted by Gregory Ng on June 8, 2007 9:52 AM
  4. Hi, I work at an AT&T store in a well known PR mall and in fact the iPhone’s release will be simultaneous to both Puerto Rico and USA since its the same market region. We’ll also start receiving some selling training in the coming weeks.

Posted by Yazmine on June 8, 2007 12:17 PM
  5. Dude what the fuck is wrong with you?? Why do you have to write fake stories about Puerto Rico? I’m completely sure I will have an iphone way sooner than you!! Fucking idiot!!

Posted by Eduardo Baldagues on June 9, 2007 3:03 AM
  6. The truth lies somewhere between all the stories and that is: AT&T has too much in their hands. They have not been able to manage the situation properly and it is easier to just drop the bomb to a region so they have less to worry about. Did Apple make the right choice? One should wonder.

Posted by tecnocato on June 15, 2007 8:09 AM
  7. Interesting, since ive been going to pretty much every att store in the island and i keep getting the same response, no iphone in Puerto Rico for the time being. Not that i worry, im having it sent to new jersey and forwarded here, ill still get it by early july!

Posted by cfreak2004 on June 16, 2007 12:45 PM
  8. “fmujica”, the correct spelling is ‘Puerto Rican’, which I am.

Posted by tecnocato on June 17, 2007 10:32 PM
  9. The main article for the business section (the section’s first page/full page article) on the most circulated paper in Puerto Rico (El Nuevo Dia)claimed that AT&T and Apple will not bring the iPhone to Puerto Rico along with the US relase.  Instead it will be released at a latter, yet unknown, date.  When I read this on saturday I was really dissapointed. What a bummer!

Posted by Robert R. Díaz on June 18, 2007 9:07 AM
  10. http://www.endi.com/XStatic/endi/template/nota.aspx?n=233052

Posted by El Loco de Valle Arriba on June 22, 2007 8:18 PM
  11. Just went to the ATT store in Plaza las Americas and the customer service bot that was there told me that iPhone will NOT be sold in PR as per Apple’s mandate. I guess we’ll see.

Posted by Mondongo pa ti on June 22, 2007 9:17 PM
  12. True, I also just came from an ATT booth, and they said no iphone for now,  I also called 611 fromm the phone and the said the same thing, and the other bad news it wont work if you buy it in US and gring it here, the also told me that. Gregory you should check that up, because the person from ATT said that the phone won’t work properly.

Posted by Katherine E Velazquez on June 26, 2007 9:28 PM
  13. Ok, whoever told you the iPhone won’t work properly here in Puerto Rico if you buy it in the United States and bring it here to PR is lying big time.  First of all THINK OF WHERE YOU LIVE!!, you live in freaking Wonderland, Puerto Rico = Wonderland you can’t beleive salesmen here in PR, they’ll do anything to lie to you here in Puerto Rico most people lost their values and don’t respect if your planning on moving here, ...think again.  Apple is being really unfair to their MacFans here in Puerto Rico, and if they say no, why don’t they make a official Apple Store here or have shipping to Puerto Rico from their site they are really unfair.  I have a 20inch iMac G5 and a Core Duo MacBook and Apple doesn’t even have support via telephone for people who don’t live in the US, I just can’t wait to graduate and get the hell out of here, and I write this with lots of rage and anger.  Apple SHOULD release the iPhone on Puerto Rico it acutally may please their customers from here (Puerto Rico), seriously, I love Macs, always will but Apple and it’s plans suck ass!  The day Apple comes here to Puerto Rico and build an Apple store and ship to Puerto Rico, and open some doors to puertorican customers I will regret all this that I have said about Apple and yet, I hope this crap won’t happen with Mac OS X Leopard.  This iPhone is an example of the relationship Apple has with Puerto Rico.  And people, even though you won’t/can’t accept it, the iPhone is NOT NOT NOT NOT coming to Puerto Rico.  I hope reading this showed the anger I have against Apple.  I know this is not Steve Job’s fault, I bet he wants everybody to have an iPhone, I just want to know why is Apple so scared of Puerto Rico.  This is not a review of why Apple won’t release the iPhone on Puerto Rico, this is an opinion of a loyal Mac Fan that well, is right now against this crap,  Apple has done many things and closed many doors to Puerto Rico, I just can’t beleive they will actually close the door t the iPhone, it is completely unfair, not Apple-like. This is the most stupid idea Apple has ever had.

...oh yes, one more thing, why the f*ck did Apple had to choose Cingular/ATT only?? there are more, they could’ve chosen more, what’s their problem!?

Sincerely,
    A Mac Fan that has been let down by his favorite thing.

Posted by Enrique C on June 28, 2007 4:28 PM
  14. I totally agree with you, I feel the same way Enrique.

Posted by Christian Ortega on June 28, 2007 6:42 PM
  15. I talked to a sales respresentative that said:
    -iPhone will not be sold in PR for the time being, apple doesnt consider it as US
    -if you buy a iPhone in the states, you use your SIM card to active it in PR. PR has edge and G3, all that stuff, should work perfect he said. Just not sold in PR.

Posted by martin gorrochategui on June 28, 2007 11:29 PM
  16. How can I order one if apple.com doesn’t send it to PR?

Posted by Christian Ortega on June 29, 2007 9:43 AM
  17. I am currently in vacation at Orlando and went to the apple store and they told it could be used in PR, so I bought it.  Then I came home to activate it (because you can’t use it until its activated, not even as an iPod) it told me that I couldn’t activate it.  So I called ATT and they told me that the service wasn’t available to PR, and that they could activate it but that I wouldn’t be able to use its features just as a phone and iPod, because there where some antennas or something that PR needed.  They told that they didn’t know when it was going to be available for PR.  Then I decided to call ATT in PR to see if they knew, but they didn’t knew either.  Though the guy told me that I could open an account here with the zip code from Florida and that I would be able to use its features in PR. So I don’t understand, I can use a phone from here but wehat about the antennas that where needed for PR.  If someone has tried to use it in PR or has had any progress please tell me.

Posted by Eduardo Suarez on June 30, 2007 3:05 PM
  18. Well Eduardo, my roommate in new jersey just bought me one last night and is shipping it on monday, if i hopefully get it tuesday ill let u know how it works around here in san juan since i have a philadelphia att account. ill see if it makes a difference

Posted by cfreak2004 on June 30, 2007 3:26 PM
  19. Thanks it would be great if you could tell me if it works there.  I’m sorry to ask you, but if yours works and you have a friend with an ATT account in PR and you could insert his SIM card and see if it works that would be perfect.  I expect hearing from you cfreak, thanks a lot.

Posted by Eduardo on June 30, 2007 4:01 PM
  20. Most likely you can buy it in the states, activate it then bring it to PR. Itunes does’t work here in PR thats why is not selling. Who knows most likely some bs laws are the blame.
    “Activation
    Q. How do I activate iPhone?
    A. You activate iPhone in a whole new way—using iTunes right on your computer. All you need is a PC or Mac, a credit card or debit card, access to the Internet and an email address.”

Posted by papaupa on June 30, 2007 6:33 PM
  21. Try Changing the Zip code and your billin address to US on mycingular.com and then activate it, latter change the address again.

Posted by Juanchys on July 1, 2007 6:37 AM
  22. If anyone in PR has activated his/her iPhone (sent by a friend from the US) please post it here.  If it was done in a special way (zipcode hack, etc.) ...pklease post it here!!

Posted by puertorro on July 1, 2007 1:05 PM
  23. The worst cell phone company in Puerto Rico is AT&T (Cingular) due to stone aged antenna/technology.  Their antennas are not fully Digital!!!!!  This is the reason why the iphone will not wotk for some time in PR ‘till they change/add new technology antennas.

Posted by Roman on July 1, 2007 3:05 PM
  24. I just read in another blog that someone whose already activated the iphone in the states could go to PR and that the iPhone would work perfectly.  I just want to know if it is possible to change the SIM card on an already activated iPhone with one from PR and it will still work.  If someone knows please let me know.

Posted by Eduardo on July 1, 2007 3:29 PM
  25. I hope it does work. I purchased an iPhone today in eBay at a very good price. Should be here by Tuesday. AT&T customer service told me it can work here in Puerto Rico, but needed to use an US address in order to activate the phone. Hope it works.

Posted by Fernando T on July 1, 2007 6:24 PM
  26. But is your area code 787 or is it from the states?  When you get a chance to try it out please let me know how it went.

Posted by Eduardo on July 1, 2007 6:28 PM
  27. My area code is 787. I live in PR. I will use my brother’s address in FL. I have read about the iPhone so much that I have offered tech support in Apple’s message boards. I can work in any local AT&T store. I am really tired about this. Will let you know. Hope it can be done. If anybody is able to activate it, please post solution.

Posted by Fernando T on July 1, 2007 6:40 PM
  28. I have been long hours reading about the iphone. Already tired. My wife thinks I am having a mental illness already.

Check this out: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=4838091#4838091

Posted by Fernando T on July 1, 2007 7:26 PM
  29. Feel your pain.  I hope it can be done too, wouldn’t like to have to return mine.  I’m staying at florida till thursday.  If by any chance I here anything else at any other place will let you know through here.  I will be waiting to here from you then.  Thanks

Posted by Eduardo on July 1, 2007 7:28 PM
  30. I went to a AT&T store and they say that the Iphone could activate using my actual plan on Puerto Rico. Try calling AT&T service and ask about this issue and step by step haw to activate trough them, post what you found.

Posted by Juanchys on July 1, 2007 7:38 PM
  31. I’ve already spent literally like 8 to 10 hours in total on phone talking to ATT (called them around 15 times).  They told me that it couldn’t be used in PR, but I already heard that it CAN be used in PR with an area code from the US.  I also heard that if you changed your zip code billing address it would workm, but didn’t.  Then I heard that you could have a phone from the US activate it and then change your area code to PR, but couldn’t do it either.  The only thing I have left is for anyone to try to activate and then change the sim card to one from PR.  If anyone has done it please let me know, or if anyone has it in PR please try it and let me know, if I can’t use it in the island I am going to turn it in befeore I return, please le me know.

Posted by Eduardo on July 1, 2007 8:43 PM
  32. That last option will work, the activation purpose is to unlock the phone. But, can we use visual voicemail in here. I don’t know if the unlimited MediaNet option will offer support for the visual voicemail feature.

Posted by Fernando T on July 1, 2007 9:00 PM
  33. Are you sure it will work or you suppose it will?  I’ve tried to find out about people trying to change the sim card but have not heard anythig about it, if you find anything please let me know.

Posted by Eduardo on July 1, 2007 9:04 PM
  34. Yazmine works in a well know mall AT&T store. What can she say about it? Any latest news?

Posted by Fernando T on July 1, 2007 9:05 PM
  35. In the US the sim card switching have worked. Between US area code numbers.

Posted by Fernando T on July 1, 2007 9:06 PM
  36. i should have mine here by tuesday or thursday (sadly ups doesnt deliver july 4th, though understandable). When i get it ill activate it using my philadelphia number, then ill switch in my sister’s PR sim card and see wat happens. Either way i have a feeling the visual voicemail wont work here nor the updated edge since those upgrades havent been done to the system here.

Posted by Samuel (aka cfreak2004) on July 1, 2007 9:51 PM
  37. We need to be in contact by email so we can try this, my iphone arrives 2morow. Eduardo let’s get in contact by email.

Posted by Max on July 1, 2007 9:51 PM
  38. The upgrade 2 EDGE has been done here

Posted by Max on July 1, 2007 9:52 PM
  39. Max my e-mail is alolocs@hotmail.com whenever you have it and can confirm on anything please let me know, I will appreciate it.  If I know anything I will let you know.

Posted by Eduardo on July 1, 2007 10:01 PM
  40. I’ll be very curious too. Mine should arrive on Thursday bought by a friend for me in Atlanta. Hopefully we can find a way to keep our numbers by swapping sims or changing addresses.

Posted by Steven on July 2, 2007 7:38 PM
  41. Just found out in a forum.
    AT&T has said it in their employee training document. People can move their SIM from their iPhone to another AT&T phone. However, it will not work the other way, and SIMs from other carriers won’t work either.
    Bad news! We need either a US new number or wait for 787 area code support.

Posted by Fernando T on July 2, 2007 8:46 PM
  42. There are bad news to all of us that were hoping for sim card swapping to have an iPhone work in Puerto Rico. Data gathered among other forums have vlearly established that:

1) None of the iPhone features (phone, media player, WiFi, etc.) will work until the activation process thru iTunes is completed.

2) Once the phone is activated, the phone features will work only when the sim card used during activation is in the phone.  If another AT&T or non-AT&T is inserted in the phone after the activation process, the device phone capabilities will not be functional.

3) All of the non-phone capabilities of the iPhone (WiFi, media player, etc.) remain available after the activation process even without a sim card in the device.

Lets hope there is another way to go around this.

Posted by Robert R. Díaz on July 3, 2007 6:41 AM
  43. Would be great if we could get some inside info as to what the att/apple plans are for PR. Is it next month or Next Year?

Posted by Steven on July 3, 2007 7:48 AM
  44. Well it could be posible to change your living address to EU and they will change your area code, than activate the phone and latter change it back to 787. A local reseller of Cingular told me that. Someone with the phone try it and let me know

Posted by Juanchy on July 3, 2007 3:05 PM
  45. I have activated my Iphone with a Florida phone No. in PR.

Posted by Carlanga on July 3, 2007 4:58 PM
  46. try calling to 611 and say you will be moving to PR… like this fourum from cingular said….

Can I change my phone number if I move to another city or state?
    QUESTION:
    Can I change my phone number if I move to another city or state?
    ANSWER:
    Yes, you can change your phone number if you move to another city with AT&T service.

To make changes to your wireless service, please call us at *RELO (*7356) from your wireless phone or at 1-800-826-7356 from any other phone for assistance.

If you are viewing information on devices or services, please note: content reflects instructions for devices and services purchased from AT&T.
    Some differences may exist for devices not purchased from AT&T.

Posted by juanchy on July 3, 2007 5:03 PM
  47. I wonder if the RELO thing will work if they know your phone is an iphone?

Posted by Steven on July 3, 2007 6:37 PM
  48. I already have my iphone…is there any other way to activate it besides the relocation option?  my email is debest74@hotmail.com please anyone with information regarding the activation of an iphone in the island…

Posted by Tanya on July 3, 2007 11:25 PM
  49. Only is activate trought Itunes…try calling *7356 for your cel and change your address to EU and at the same time your area code. now you can activate tue Iphone. Then call again and change it back.

Posted by juanchy on July 3, 2007 11:35 PM
  50. The Iphone is a celphone so RELO is suppose to give the service. Bedside AT&T at this hour sond like they dosen’t have any issue about using the Iphone on the Island, The problem is apple and they marketing. Puerto Rico it’s part or Apple latino America not EU. So again try calling *7356 for your cel and change your address to EU and at the same time your area code. now you can activate tue Iphone. Then call again and change it back.

Posted by juanchy on July 3, 2007 11:39 PM
  51. But when you change it back to 787 will the iphone need to be reactivated?  Until somebody tries this I really doubt it will work.

Posted by Steven on July 4, 2007 5:19 AM
  52. When you cal RELO, they don’t touch the phone. They enter the Sim number directly and change it on the system. remember the problem is unlocking it. a lot of people is wating for someone to do thing, let’s wroke the ice and try anything. I think the RELO thing would change and scince on the terms and contract does’nt say nothing about this

Posted by juanchy on July 4, 2007 5:59 AM
  53. Just activate it with a US address (FL). Then change number. You have 30 days to cancel account. I am using right now my iPhone in PR, and is awesome.

Posted by Fernando on July 4, 2007 7:28 AM
  54. So you were able to change the number using *7356 to a 787 number?

Posted by Steven on July 4, 2007 8:06 AM
  55. try it, AT&T say it can be

Posted by juanchy on July 4, 2007 3:53 PM
  56. Well someone try it or will be standing watting for other to do it… PS I don’t try it because I dosen’t have a iphone

Posted by Juanito de Puerto Rico on July 4, 2007 4:13 PM
  57. I talk by chat with AT&T and told me that yes I tecnically can call and change the IPHONE US Number to PR… Some one try it

Posted by Juanito de Puerto Rico on July 4, 2007 5:10 PM
  58. Todos boricuas y hablandonos en ingles?. ajajjaa

yo estoy esperando que a alguien le sirva el RELO para comprarme en iphone, asi que avisen avisen.

Posted by Chris on July 4, 2007 5:14 PM
  59. I’m calling the RELO but nothing happens….The recording tells me 2 call 611

Posted by Tanya on July 4, 2007 7:42 PM
  60. Tanya que hay?

Posted by Chris on July 4, 2007 8:38 PM
  61. Porfavor, necesito que la primera persona que pueda activar su telefono haciendo una cuenta en estados unidos y haciendo el relocation al numero 787 usando el iPhone que porfavor nos indique en este foro ya que estamos todos esperando por que alguien lo haga. Hoy en San Patricio me comentaron que ya varias personas abrieron cuenta en Florida y estan esperando a que el servicio del Iphone este disponible en Puerto Rico pero desafortunadamente puede que sea hasta mas alla del 2008 (rumores de cingular en san patricio).  *PENDIENTES A PR2NIGHT.COM YA QUE ESTARAN REGALANDO 2 IPHONES TAN PRONTO SEA DISPONIBLE EL SERVICIO EN PUERTO RICO*

Posted by antonio on July 4, 2007 8:45 PM
  62. Yo tengo un iPhone funcionando al 100% en Puerto Rico. Lo active con un numero y direccion de Estados Unidos. Estoy por hacer el cambio a 787. Mañana voy a llamar a tech support. Les dejo saber. No tengo palabras para describir el iPhone. No hay comparacion.

Posted by Fernando on July 4, 2007 8:51 PM
  63. ^

Fernando, cuando haras la RELO?

Posted by Chris on July 4, 2007 8:56 PM
  64. Don’t listen to at&t reps…there just guessing.Apple inc. are calling all the shots here.My advice just wait until it comes to P.R.You waited 6 months a couple months don’t mean nothing

Posted by Fundador on July 4, 2007 9:00 PM
  65. ^

that’s exactly why Everyday hurts…

Posted by Chris on July 4, 2007 9:05 PM
  66. yo tengo un iphone aqui en p.r. pero no quiero perder mi numero y llevo 3 años con cingular que puedo hacer. porque lo trato de activar y no puedo

Posted by joey on July 4, 2007 10:36 PM
  67. Fernando cambia al 787 y dejanos saber si funciona con el 787, quiero activar el mio…

Posted by Tanya on July 5, 2007 2:28 AM
  68. Hoy llega el mío. Por lo que puedo ver parece que varios grupos están trabajando para lograr “unlock” el tel. Al final esa podría ser la mejor solución.

Posted by Steven on July 5, 2007 4:11 AM
  69. The relo number is:

QUESTION:
    Can I change my phone number if I move to another city or state?
    ANSWER:

Posted by Juanito de Puerto Rico on July 5, 2007 5:36 AM
  70. There’s a new cellular company and that is Apple Wireless…Thanks AT&T PR for not standing up for your PR customers,very disappointment on them

Posted by Fundador on July 5, 2007 6:26 AM
  71. saludos,
    me llego el iphone ayer…vivo en PR, tengo cuenta con cingular hace par de anos…787…
    por itunes..no me deja activar para nada el iphone, ni pa usarlo como ipod..etc…
    alguien sabe o me puede guiar…para poder activarlo
    sin perder mi numero de PR 787-502-*** etc?

por favor dejenme saber…
    add me up
    msn - fico98@hotmail.com

saludos
    Fico

Posted by fico on July 5, 2007 12:13 PM
  72. saludos,
    alguien sabe o me puede guiar…para poder activarlo
    sin perder mi numero de PR 787-502-*** etc?

por favor dejenme saber…
    add me up
    msn - fico98@hotmail.com

saludos
    Fico

Posted by Fico on July 5, 2007 12:34 PM
  73. La unica manera que podria ser es llamar al y pedir que te cambien el numero de telefono a una direccion en un estado (esto es para que te cambien el billing address y el area code) luego activas el Iphone sin problemas. Luego al terminar llamas denuevo y lo regresas al 787. Si no quieres ser tan ovio en este truco… activalo con un nuevo plan y luego llama y cambialo al 787 dando la direccion de PR.. El numero al llamar es:1-800-826-7356 Cuando lo intentes postea tus resultados…

Posted by Juanito de Puerto Rico on July 5, 2007 3:35 PM
  74. Esto funcionaria con cualquier otro telefono,pero esto no es posible con el iphone,por la restricciones que ha impuesto Apple.Si ya tienes un iphone y vives en Puerto Rico solamente tienes 3 opciones:1.Lo activas con un # de telefono de cualqiera de los 50 estados 2.Esperas pacientemente que este disponible en Puerto Rico,posiblemente a finales de 2007 3.Lo puedes vender a un buen precio en e-bay

Posted by Fundador on July 5, 2007 6:26 PM
  75. Ciertamente apple puso esa “Restriccion” pero AT&T hasta el momento admite que el telefono se deviera activar en PR, por lo tanto que hace el Iphone diferente de un telefono normal al momento de llamar… Alguien intentelo para saber si trabaja o no… No hay forma de saberlo hasta intentarlo…

Posted by Juanito de Puerto Rico on July 5, 2007 6:35 PM
  76. conecte el iphone,  puse la info de mis abuelos…miami florida…en itunes…
    puse toda la info, puse que queria abrir nueva
    cuenta de telefono con ellos-osea en miami fl…y no me dejo
    me dijo que necesitaba un credit check por at&t…

anyways, me dijo le sr. de at&t…que no me aseguraba de que si abria cuenta en miami fl. y despues queria cambiar (relo) a puerto rico - no me aseguraba de q me saliera el truco…
    she said “theres no way around it”...honestly ...

q creen? no me sale de ninguna manera

alguien ha abierto el iphone? alguien lo ha hecho?
    alguiensabe alguna otra manera?

feedback?

Posted by Francisco Cangiano on July 5, 2007 7:08 PM
  77. Claro ellos les conviene decir q no aseguran ya que no lo han intentado…

Posted by MACFREAK de Puerto Rico on July 5, 2007 7:14 PM
  78. Esta situacion lo ha creado totalmente Apple….cuando la mano derecha no sabe lo hace la izquierda y esto es el caso con AT&T.Ellos dicen una cosa y alla Apple dice otra.

Posted by Fundador on July 5, 2007 7:44 PM
  79. El iphone se activa a traves de Apple exclusivamente, luego AT&T puede hacer sus ajustes. El SIM card requiere una programacion especial para iphones. Puede ser que AT&T en PR pueda programar estos SIM cards luego de que el iphone haya sido activado (o mejor dicho desbloqueado). Pero AT&T en Puerto Rico saben menos que nosotros sobre el iphone o es que no pueden divulgar informacion.

Posted by Fernando on July 5, 2007 9:49 PM
  80. Creo que vamos a poder darle un unlock al teléfono en un futuro no muy lejano. Leí que los hackers ya saben como hacer que el teléfono trabaje con cualquier sim de ATT, no solo el que trae. Realmente eso es todo lo que necesitamos para usar esto en PR.

Posted by Steven on July 6, 2007 4:47 AM
  81. http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070705/tc_infoworld/90002

“There is at least a two-step process to unlocking an iPhone, McLaughlin said. His team has been able to unlock the activation process to the AT&T SIM card specific to an iPhone so another AT&T SIM card can work with the phone and be activated through iTunes. However, any attempt to change the firmware of an iPhone so it can support another carrier’s SIM card breaks the phone, he said. The key to unlocking the phone is breaking the encryption process that protects the token sent through the iTunes activation process to an iPhone’s firmware, McLaughlin believes.”

Posted by Steven on July 6, 2007 5:09 AM
  82. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/06/iphone_unlocking/

Posted by Steven on July 6, 2007 7:49 AM
  83. Gente, entiendo que el proceso de activacion no esta atado a la Sim Card que trae el iPhone.  He visto en muchos foros los comentarios de personas que han activado su iPhone con otros AT&T Sim Cards, el problema esta en que una vez activado el telefono este solo funcionara con la Sim Card utilizada durante la activacion.  Todo parece ser que al igual que microsoft ata su software a una computadora en particular (reconociendo sus componentes) el iPhone condiciona su funcionamiento a “reconocer” el Sim Card activado.

Posted by Robert R. Diaz on July 6, 2007 9:01 AM
  84. http://www.iphoneunlocking.com/

Check it out

Posted by MACFREAK de Puerto Rico on July 6, 2007 12:33 PM
  85. QUE PASO CON RELO? ALGUIEN LO TRATO? ALGUIEN LLAMO PARA CAMBIAR EL NUMERO DE EU A PUERTO RICO?

Posted by MACFREAK de Puerto Rico on July 6, 2007 9:35 PM
  86. MACFREAK:Esto se podria ser posible con cualquier otro telefono de AT&T pero con el iphone este no es el caso.Apple tiene el control absoluto del telefono….Welcome to the new AT&T which is now called APPLE WIRELESS!!!!!

Posted by Fundador on July 7, 2007 8:20 AM
  87. Fundador:

Dame algun argumento para sustentar tu respuesta… Lo haz intentado???

Posted by MAC FREAK on July 7, 2007 9:32 AM
  88. Desde el 29 de junio compre mi iPhone aqui en FL y al dia de hoy ni Apple ni AT&T me lo han podido activar lo unico que han hecho es “unlock” el “sim card” que trae el iPhone para que pueda usar mi viejo celular, pues durante el proceso de activacion ellos me desactivaron el “sim card” de mi cel viejo.  Definitivamente el problema es el 787 lo tienen “lock” para cuando salga la promocion en Puerto Rico.  El “sim card” unlock del iPhone funciona en mi viejo cel pero ahora cuando lo pongo en el iPhone, me aparece “To activate the iPhone you need an unlock sim card” algo asi.

Posted by Evelyn on July 7, 2007 10:52 AM
  89. Well a apple employ say that if a great number of feedback were posted at http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html expaining this PR bug, we have a chance to be hear.

Un empleado de apple dijo que la unica manera de ser escuchado es postiando http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html explicando nuestro disgusto sobre el bug de PR. unamos voces y dejemos saber nuestra opinion

Posted by juanito de Puerto Rico on July 7, 2007 12:17 PM
  90. saludos,

alguien ha podido activar el iphone para uso en PR?
    alguien ha podido activar el iphone con cuenta en FL o algun estado y despues “relocate” al 787 de Puerto Rico?
    alguien ha podido “unlock” el iphone para usarlo como ipod etc…aungue no sirva el telefono por el momento?
    alguien ha “unlocked”?
    alguien ha abierto el iphone y le ha cambiado el sim card - y ppuesto el viejo de PR (cingular)...y ha servido para algo?

por favor gente,
    alguien ha hecho algo? hahaha

saludos

Posted by Fico on July 7, 2007 12:30 PM
  91. no

Posted by Steven on July 7, 2007 1:58 PM
  92. Si dejan mensaje en http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html les recomiendo que lo hagan en el mejor tono y más amigable posible si de verdad desean ser escuchados y que lo hagan bajo una misma categoría.

Como técnicamente no es un bug, yo lo dejé bajo “Connection/Interoperativity”. Fue lo mejor que se ocurrió...

En la explicación solo digo que el proceso de activación no completa para los códigos de are 787 y 939 y que es iTunes el que no lo acepta. Luego menciono que soy un consumidor existente de Apple y AT&T y que (lo más importante a mi entender) otros pueden usar toda la funcionalidad del iPhone en Puerto Rico siempre que no sean residentes, solo visitantes y consumidores que lo han comprado en los estados y activado con números de otras áreas.

¡Suerte para todos (nosotros)!

Posted by tecnocato on July 7, 2007 3:38 PM
  93. ¡¡¡En una nota un tanto jocosa, debemos hacer un concurso local para la primera persona que lo active con un numero con código de area 787 o 939!!! Haqueado o no… y lo ponemos en el programa.

Posted by tecnocato on July 7, 2007 3:44 PM
  94. Yo tengo mi iPhone activado con una direccion de Miami y un numero de Miami, fue la unica forma de que pude activar. Le doy forward a mi telefono 787 de ATT AL IPHONE y ya todas las llamadas te entran al Iphone y como es de ATT a ATT las incoming te cuentan solo al 787 y las llamadas generadas del iphone a cualquier numero sea en PR o USA es como si fuera local ya que el plan de llamadas del Iphone no tiene cargos por roaming. Hay que seguir presionando a apple para que se puedan activar los iphones con numeros 787.

Saludos a todos.

Posted by Carlanga on July 7, 2007 4:43 PM
  95. Cartanga,

Esas son muy buenas noticias. No se me había ocurrido que llamadas recibidas de un forward serían gratis. Eso ayuda mucho con el costo. El mío todavía no ha llegado tengo esperanzas del lunes. Si es posible darle un unlock voy a tratar. Para registrar un numero en Florida, tuviste que usar una tarjeta de cerdito con dirección en los estados unidos?

Posted by Steven on July 7, 2007 5:10 PM
  96. Carlanga ... eso significa que estas pagando por dos planes de celular simultaniamente?? .... de ser asi, no veo un gran avance en eso =/

Posted by Barb on July 7, 2007 5:54 PM
  97. Saludos a todos los que nos encontramos en el mismo bote. Basicamente he estado haciendo lo mismo que Carlanga. Tengo 2 cuentas. Hasta ahora es lo mejor que he podido hacer. Como quiera recuerden que se tienen 30 dias para cancelar el contrato sin penalidad. Espero que en ese tiempo podamos encontrar una solucion. Estoy usando el iPhone sin problemas, incluyendo el visual voicemail. Le doy call forwarding de mi numero 787 al area code 706 con el que active el iPhone. Los planes incluyen roaming y larga distancia. De esa manera entiendo que el que me llama no paga larga distancia ya que marca el 787. El call forwarding tambien esta incluido en los planes. BTW ya escribi mi comentario a Apple sobre esta situacion. Los invito a que le escribamos y dejemos saber nuestro sentir de una manera cortes e inteligente. He hablado con varios representantes de AT&T y el RELO no parece ser una opcion al momento ya que el iPhone tiene bloqueados los codigos de area 787 y 939. El personal de AT&T en PR ha recibido E-mail al respecto y esa es la version oficial de AT&T. Claro esta pienso que no debe ser imposible pero al momento tenemos que activar con area code de EU.

Posted by Dave on July 7, 2007 8:54 PM
  98. DAVE:Porfavor me puedes explicar un poco mas en detalle como funciona el call forwarding…soy un novato en cuanto a eso.Gracias Dave!!!!!!

Posted by Fundador on July 7, 2007 11:13 PM
  99. Fundador el call forwarding es util para cuando tu estas en un area en la cual no hay servicio y quieres redirigir las llamadas que te hacen al celular a cualquier otro numero de telefono (ya sea celular o no). Buscas en los menus de settings (debe estar en phone o en calls) del celular para el cual quieres redirigir las llamadas y activas el call forwarding. Te va a pedir un numero de telefono al cual todas las llamadas van a ser enviadas (en mi caso puse el numero del iPhone) y ya! Cada vez que te llamen a tu numero de celular de costumbre con el 787 va a sonar el iPhone. Entiendo (y es lo que todavia no estoy seguro) que para la persona que llama le cuenta como una llamada local ya que esta llamando con area code 787. En el caso del iPhone, no importa que hagas llamadas porque los planes que AT&T ofrece para el iPhone son nacionales e incluyen roaming, larga distancia, data y movil a movil ilimitados. Asi es que estoy usando el telefono aqui en Puerto Rico sin problemas. Espero esto ayude en algo.

Posted by Dave on July 8, 2007 7:12 AM
  100. Alguien a tratado de activar el teléfono usando uno de los métodos como el de DVD john http://www.nanocrew.net/ pero con un att sim de otro teléfono (787) activado con att en el sim slot?

Posted by Steven on July 8, 2007 3:02 PM
  101. Hello everyone…

I felt compelled to write since there are so many rumors and misinformation going around regarding the iPhone.  As soon as the iPhone was announced, I already knew I was going to buy one.  When the official announcement was made here in PR by Cingular Wireless stating no iPhone availability, I quickly called my best friend in Tampa so she would purchase the iPhone for me.  I booked a trip from Friday, July 6 to Sunday, July 8 to pick up my iPhone and spend some time with her.  During the whole process before my trip,  I called the local Cingular Wireless corporate and consumer customer service lines to get their feedback on the iPhone.  My current phone before the iPhone is part of a corporate plan and I wanted to verify what options, if any, I had.  When I asked them about the iPhone and what options I had if I purchased it in the U.S., both CSR’s told me that I could not activate the iPhone with any phone number which contained a Puerto Rico area code (787 and 939), and that none (and I stress, NONE) of the iPhone features would work in the island.  They said they could not even guarantee I would be able to place voice calls via the iPhone.  The corporate CSR went as far as to say that the unit would be USELESS here in Puerto Rico.  I was very skeptical about all this information, since the coverage map clearly states full coverage in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, and every time I travel to the states with my current Cingular phone I have no problems at all joining the network.  I had made up my mind anyways, and was set on getting my phone.

When I got to Tampa on Friday night, my friend picked me up at the airport and gave my my brand new iPhone.  I was delighted to see the nice, very well designed black packaging and the nice matching shopping bag it came in.  I decided to wait until Saturday morning to fire up my Macbook Pro and register the phone, so I could have some time to catch up with my friend.

As soon as I woke up on Saturday morning (my girlfriend called my room at 9:00 AM, *sigh*), I went straight to my bag and pulled out my laptop.  I had read about many activation problems etc., so I filled myself with patience and went ahead and fired it up and connected my iPhone.  In 4 minutes, I was already up and running and my phone had been activated, without a hassle.  Of course, I have a phone number with a Tampa area code, but since most of my contacts have nationwide plans or are also with Cingular, it is of no concern.

I have to say I am delighted with the ease of use, awesome design, and complete synchronization with my Mac’s address book, calendar, etc.  You Tube is a very nice touch too.  I can’t say how happy I am to own an iPhone.

But now to the important part of my story.  As soon as I said my goodbyes and ran to the security checkpoint (yes I was running a bit late), my thoughts shifted to how limited my iPhone would be when I got to the island.  During my flight, I used the down time to update and clean my address book and add info to my calendar for synchronization with .Mac and my iPhone.  As soon as the plane landed and we were allowed to turn on our cell phones, to my surprise…......

EVERYTHING WORKED.  I had full signal and Edge connectivity.  I watched clips of Family Guy on YouTube while waiting get off the plane.  I texted my closest friends telling them I was back and OK.  I then called my girlfriend to make sure she was on her way to pick me up.

Theres a few points I would like to draw out from this whole experience.  First off, SHAME ON YOU, CINGULAR of Puerto Rico.  Your ignorance and lack of dedication has been shown clearly.  Having customer service reps tell me that I would basically have a useless phone here in Puerto Rico is downright irresponsible and SHAMEFUL.  If you have no clue or no facts, then just say so.  You have earned the label of incompetent and untrustworthy in my book.  Second, the iPhone, even in it’s current baby stage, is an awesome phone and tool.  I can’t wait until they start adding more content, and also let us use our iTunes songs as ringtones.  I love how sharp the text looks on screen, and how easy it is to work with attachments.  The use of two fingers to zoom in and out is very nice too.  The keyboard works well, even though I have big fingers raspberry So all in all, I am very pleased.

I hope this helps all of you who want an iPhone but are afraid to make the jump due to all the misinformation and rumors going around.  If you are willing to put up with having a phone number with a U.S. area code, then make the jump!!!  You will not regret it.  I will try to take some pics near a P.R. landmark to provide visual proof of the iPhone working here!!!

Posted by Carlos on July 9, 2007 12:54 AM
  102. Thanks for the info…and experience-review bro

im so frustrated by “having tomake the jump” and get a florida based area code number…. i dont know if i should get a new account (FL) or wait it out…til they give access to PR 787…

question bro - what did you do to make a new FL account?
    I put my grandparents MIAMI FL info on…etc…didnt work…they asked for a
    credit check…etc didnt go thru

i mean, you put who’s info/adress? did you put another credit card on itunes?
    cus if u live in PR, how did u do it? i mean, ur itunes account has the PR info…plus ur credit card runs with ur PR info….how did u?

if u can, please elaborate…just want to make sure,
    to see i make the jump lol

anyways,
    thanks

Saludos

Posted by Fico on July 9, 2007 1:35 AM
  103. Un thread que podría acabar teniendo la solución a nuestros problemas.

Posted by Steven on July 9, 2007 4:16 AM
  104. Un thread que podría acabar teniendo la solución a nuestros problemas.

Posted by Steven on July 9, 2007 4:35 AM
  105. The main problem is Apple, not local AT&T. The iphone requires activation via iTunes to be unlocked. Puerto Rico is not found in iTunes activation’s page. We have to choose any other State. Once it is unlocked, AT&T may change your sim card with one the iphone would recognize, this is where we should verify with local AT&T service. I will go to a local AT&T store to buy a new sim card with my current 787 number, most be programed for use with the iphone. That’s it.

Posted by Fernando on July 9, 2007 5:01 AM
  106. Parece que este blog no acomoda mas de 100 comentarios. Yo sugiero que movamos la discusión a forum. Yo sugiero:

Si discutimos esto aya y en ingles probablemente vamos a conseguir mas ayuda de la comunidad que esta tratando de lograr un unlock del tel. Podríamos empezar un nuevo thread con un titulo que incluya “Puerto Rico”

Posted by Steven on July 9, 2007 5:22 AM
  107. Aquí tiene un thread en los Hackintosh forums donde sugiero que movamos la discusión.

Posted by Steven on July 9, 2007 5:34 AM
  108. Hello again…

For the people who asked how I activated my account, I used my friend’s Tampa address for billing, and provided my current Apple ID.  iTunes account has nothing to do with it, since we use the U.S. store.  I entered the information, my social security number, and the Tampa address, along with my Apple ID, selected the plan, and then got the confirmation. A couple minutes later my iPhone was activated and working.  The biggest challenge was prying it off my friend’s hands since she ran with it as soon as it unlocked raspberry

Anyways, I called Cingular Corporate customer service today and gave them a nice tongue lashing.  I was not able to be too severe, since the lady who answered has helped me before and been very nice.  The only feature not supported in the island is the Visual Voicemail, since it requires a “voicemail storage hardware” upgrade or change on Cingular/AT&T’s behalf here in the island.  I’m sorry I cannot be more specific regarding that, but I really do not have additional information on the requirements for making visual voicemail work here.  All the other misinformation stating that there is not enough bandwidth here in the island etc. is completely untrue.  Regarding the credit check, I guess they use your social security number to check your credit score or something similar.

If the thread is moved (since I cannot see any posts beyond the 100th either), please reply so I can keep checking on it.  Good luck to you all!

Posted by Zeros on July 9, 2007 8:05 AM
  109. new trath http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=3894617#post3894617 they will help us…

Posted by juanito de Puerto Rico on July 9, 2007 8:54 AM
  110. As I stated previously my iPhone works fine in PR including visual voicemail. I activated with an US address. Visual voicemail does work here.

Posted by Dave on July 9, 2007 10:26 AM
  111. El metodo de DVD John te activa el telefono para las funciones de Ipod y WIFI, no te desbloquea la funcion del SIM card. La funcion del SIM card esta siendo trabajada por una empresa en europa llamada www.uniquephones.com Lean bien las noticias, se dan para confusion.

Posted by Carlanga on July 9, 2007 10:30 AM
  112. El metodo de DVD John solo activa el Ipod y la funcion de WIFI. Toda via nadie ha podido despbloquiar el SIM Card. Solo la gente de uniquephones.com esta trabajando con la solucion del SIM lock. Gente lean bien.

Posted by Carlanga on July 9, 2007 10:33 AM
  113. Hello once again!

I just set up my voicemail, and visual voicemail DOES work as previously posted by someone.  Just this morning I called corporate customer service to rant about how wrong they were about the iPhone, and they still said that visual voicemail would not work in the island.  So there you go, we now know Cingular of Puerto Rico is clueless about anything iPhone.

Take care.

Posted by Zeros on July 9, 2007 10:43 AM
  114. As I previously stated in spanish, the following are FACTS about the iPhone and Puerto Rico: At present it can only be activated with a 50 state US address. Unfortunately the 787/939 area codes are blocked for now. Once you activate it you can change the mailing address to your address in PR. Being there, done that! The iPhone WILL WORK WITHOUT PROBLEMS HERE IN THE ISLAND, YES!!! inluding visual voicemail and all its features. Do not listen to AT&T representatives both in PR and in customer service since they do not know the real facts! You can do call forwarding from a 787 number to your iPhone and resolve the long distance issue. OF COURSE you will need 2 accounts for that. That is the painful truth for now. The iPhone WILL WORK IN PUERTO RICO, any other version is CRAP! I am very pleased with the iPhone and his capabilities.

Posted by Dave on July 9, 2007 1:32 PM
  115. i have to agree with dave and zeros, the iphone works perfectly here. the only problem i have been having is with edge…seems slow and disconects to the point that i have to enable and disable airplane mode to give it a jump start again and browse webpages. other than that its great.

Posted by sam on July 9, 2007 8:25 PM
  116. Edge is definitely very slow. I have been experiencing that same problem on my treo late3ly but it is much more noticeable on the iPhone. Almost makes edge useless to me.

Posted by Steven on July 10, 2007 4:48 AM
  117. I have corrected the EDGE slowness by restarting the Iphone, is not a big gain but makes things a bit snappier.

Posted by Carlanga on July 10, 2007 7:21 AM
  118. I restarted and it did work somewhat but it is useless most of the time. As long as edge works this poorly in PR I would not release the iPhone.

Posted by Steven on July 10, 2007 12:40 PM
  119. Steven, EDGE works poorly in PR as well as in mainland USA. IT IS NOT A PUERTO RICO ISSUE!!!! The iPhone does not support 3G technology at present time. An update to the software may resolve that issue in the future. Try to use Wi-Fi whenever available because is way faster. If you browse iPhone forums you will see that everybody is complaining of EDGE even in mainland USA. Please understand that the iPhone will work in Puerto Rico as well or even better than in mainland USA. If only someone could unblock the 787 area code!!!! Then we will be complete. For now, I continue to use it with a 706 area code here in Puerto Rico and still loving it!!!

Posted by Dave on July 10, 2007 2:14 PM
  120. Dave,

I hear you and I have read the posts about the US but something about edge is currently really broken. Most of the time it just not work. Were not talking about something with degraded performance. We are talking about something that 90% of the time just hangs and does not connect. Once in a very long while I may be able to get email. Browsing the web with edge I think I have only successfully done once in the last 24 hours. It just always hangs.

Posted by Steven on July 10, 2007 3:05 PM
  121. Figures. Right after that last post EDGE let me browse the web at reasonable speeds.

Posted by Steven on July 10, 2007 3:07 PM
  122. I concurr with you guys about the EDGE performance…
    im currently on Puerto Rico (using it with a FLorida number pre-paid for at least a month)...and it does work perfectly…including visual voicemail…its awesome
    its a great fkin achivement…im so impressed with it…

ill be curious to see when my prepaid month minutes expire…what would happen to the other features? will they lock back again? or will i be able to use the ipod, video, fotos etc…? that would be ok, til they get the 787 939 shit ON! lol

somebody pleaaaaase crack te 787 939…apple AT&T PLEASE give PR access….
    im hearing/reading…december ...or january 2008? F*** THAT!

sorry for the language lol

Posted by Fico on July 10, 2007 3:20 PM
  123. Todos devemos unirnos y dejar un feedback exijiendo que eliminene ese bloqueo… www.apple.com/feedback

Posted by juanito de Puerto Rico on July 10, 2007 7:11 PM
  124. Agree that EDGE is suboptimal. Hoping that an update in iPhone software let us use 3G. It works faster. I already sent a comment to Apple about the need for unblocking area codes 787 and 939. Let’s keep motivating them to take action.

Posted by Dave on July 10, 2007 9:45 PM
  125. FOR ZEROS….or who ever can help me!!!
    I’ve got my IPHONE since day ONE….I CAN’T USE IT YET   :( I havent been able 2 keep up with this page so I don’t now whats going on, cause I’m moving and don’t have internet at the new place…SOMEONE HELP ME….I whant 2 use my phone…
    My number is 787 239 7982 and my email is   debest74@hotmail.com

THANK U!!!

Tanya

Posted by Tanya Rodriguez on July 11, 2007 9:14 AM
  126. im from puerto rico and i had to get my iphone in the us the onley problem is that i cant activate it can someone help (ya me estoy encojonando pu~eta)

Posted by shamir on July 11, 2007 9:53 PM
  127. Yo ya deje un comentario en apple indicando la realidad del asunto y es que no es justo que nosotros despues de comprar todo lo que ellos tiran nos vengan con esa falta de respeto, de no darnos la oportunidad de obtener el iphone aqui en Puerto Rico ya que apuesto que si lo tiran aqui se acaban en las primeras horas y yo seria el primero en comprarlo. Otra cosa es que en mi caso yo no tengo la facilidad de viajar a los Estados Unidos y tampoco conosco a nadie alla. La unica opcion que me queda es esperar que lo traigan. Pero la pregunta es ¿cuando sera eso? espero que alguna persona me pueda decir eso.

Posted by Marino on July 12, 2007 1:46 AM
  128. Active mi iphone con un numero de C.A….no hubo otra forma. Voy a cancelar mi contrato viejo, pagar la penalidad por terminar el contrato antes de tiempo y pues, ya esta el contrato nuevo corriendo. Pero a parte del problema de la activacion lo unico q tengo q decir es WOW! Espero q todas puedan conseguir sus telefonos pronto y activarlos tambien…

Posted by Tanya Rodriguez on July 12, 2007 2:16 AM
  129. Para informarles que finalmente active mi iPhone con numero de la Florida y regrese a Puerto Rico y el iPhone con el forward de mi (787) funciono de lo mas bien todas as funciones incluyendo el visual voicemail y todas mis cuentas de e-mail.  Pero para mi suerte desde ayer se me fue en un “crash” y cuando le di el “reset” me pidio que lo conectara al iTunes, luego de eso siguendo las instrucciones en iTunes tuve que bajar el software de iPhone nuevamente y darle un “restore” si borra las fotos y la musica que uno tiene. Hoy tras varios intentos y despues de que me aparecio el siguiente error “The iPod iPhone could not be retored.  An unknown error occurred (-50).” trate de nuevo y finalmente finalizo el “restore”.  Le di que me instalara el ultimo “backup” que tenia y por lo menos recupere los contactos.  Pero le dejo este comentario para que sepan que esto esta pasando mucho con los iPhone.  Mi recomendacion es que mantengan un backup siempre actualizado.
    Ademas para el “restore” preferiblemente usen la PC donde se activo el iPhone.

Posted by Evelyn on July 12, 2007 6:51 AM
  130. Bueno nueva teoria… Alguien ha intentado utilizar un SIM reader para acccersar al sim del Iphone activado y buscar cual es el cambio que hace el iphone con ese sim para luego utilizar un sim con un 787 y cambiarlo para que sea igual al del iphone exepto el numero… existen sim readers hasta en ebay

Posted by juanito de Puerto Rico on July 12, 2007 3:45 PM
  131. Llevo pal de dias usando el telefono y ha sido tremendo. La unica queja q tengo es si estoy en EDGE no resivo las llamadas pero no se si es algo comun ya q nunca antes habia tenido un smart phone asi q no se si eso es algo q pasa con todos los S.P. cunando estan en internet…si alguien sabe dejeme saber…gracias

Posted by Tanya Rodriguez on July 14, 2007 2:15 AM
  132. Tanya eso es normal cuando usas EDGE. Si usas WiFi puedes recibir llamadas.

Posted by Dave on July 14, 2007 7:05 AM
  133. Nadie sabe cuando se va a poder activar con numeros de Puerto Rico?

Buscando en internet… lei un rumor de q para Agosto

pero no tengo la menor idea si eso es correcto o no

si alguien sabe algo, dejenme saber… o si lo han activado con un 787

Posted by Jose on July 15, 2007 9:27 PM
  134. Esto podría ser lo que estamos buscando para usar el iphone en PR con #s (787). No me atrevo tratarlo todavía porque tengo un sim card de los viejos y asumo que esto requiere uno de los nuevos pero quien sabe.

Posted by Steven on July 18, 2007 6:38 AM
  135. Se me olvido el link:

Posted by Steven on July 18, 2007 6:39 AM
  136. Alguien que tenga el Iphone puede probar esto… es lo mas cercano q podria haber para utilizar tu simcarrd con 787…

1. Coloca tu Sim card viejo activado con el 787 en el iphone…

2. Sigue los pasos para la activacion segun DVD John http://www.nanocrew.net/ o en http://iphone.fiveforty.net/wiki/index.php/Alternate_Activation_Methods

3.una vez actives el iphone con este metodo, Itunes devera validar tu sim card aunque realmente nunca se concecta al servidor de apple

Go and use it with 787

Cuando alguien lo haga, postee su reesultado para todos los demas realizarlo

Posted by Apple Product Professional on July 18, 2007 7:20 AM
  137. Esta es una posible manera, esta organizacion se esta dedicando a dezbloquiar el Iphone y aparentemente dieron con la aplicacion para activar un sim ya de AT&T con un numero (787) y utilizarlo en el Iphone. Aparentemente lo han echo de 7 a 11 SIM. intentenlo y posteenlo aqui. Este es el enlaze de la pagina http://iphone.fiveforty.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
    y el programa para esto es http://iphone.fiveforty.net/wiki/index.php/IASign

Progress Report

Update: we got confirmation that prepaid cards using the AT&T network worked. At least it has been confirmed for 7-11 cards
    We wanted to get some confirmations before announcing it, but it seems nearly impossible to find people to try what we wanted to try.
    So, as many people already noticed, using iASign, you’ll be able to activate existing AT&T and Cingular Sims without signing a new contract. We think it should work with virtual AT&T operators as well (i.e. the ones using the same network code), but we couldn’t find someone to actually confirm it yet. You can get a list of those virtual operators at http://www.prepaidgsm.net/en/usa.html. Please note that TracFone and Net10 won’t work due to some technical details. If anyone could try it out on one of those prepaid cards, that would be great.
    By the way, for those of you looking for this “DeviceID”, on a Mac (so on _your computer_) it’s the name of the .plist file in ~/Library/lockdown. We’ll probably release a more automated tool later, once we find some time for those tasks.
    As a side note, we’d like to clarify that we are not even close on giving up the full unlocking, as reported on some websites. We’re still up and running, but we won’t comment on a possible time line. If the unlocking is possible we’ll eventually find it, so stay tuned.
    Have fun,
    —the dev team

Posted by Apple Product Professional on July 18, 2007 10:46 PM
  138. Quiero confirmar que usando el proceso de iASign pueden activar su sim card de att con números 787. Mi sim card es de cingular y no dice 3g pero funciono de lo mas bien. Al Fin!!!!!!!!

Posted by Steven on July 19, 2007 5:44 AM
  139. Al fin alguien pudo usar el iPhone con el 787! Por lo que veo esto es solo posible com MAC OS? Alguien sabe si se puede hacer en PC/Windows XP? Que bueno que se esta haciendo progreso!

Posted by Dave on July 19, 2007 7:16 AM
  140. Esten pendientes de este enlace para activacion de Iphone con el (787)

Posted by Nino on July 19, 2007 10:38 AM
  141. Steven,

Veo que confirmaste que el “hack” del SIM te funcionó con el (787). Cuando leí el “hack” supuse que esta era la solución aunque no tengo el iphone todavía.

Pienso que el único “feature” que no funciona de esta forma es el de “viual voicemail” por aparentes. Puedes confirmar?

Gracias.

Posted by Etienne J. Cardona on July 21, 2007 4:44 PM
  142. Confirmo que logre usar el hack del SIM para poder usar mi iPhone con el numero 787 que tengo desde hace mucho tiempo. Dos problemas: no me funciona ni YouTube ni visual voicemail. Aparentemente esto es comun (ver pagina de tecnetico.com). Por alguna razon que no entiendo ambos features me funcionan con el SIM con que active originalmente el iphone pero no con el SIM del 787 (ambos dicen 3G y la numeracion es parecida excepto los ultimos 6 0 7 numeros). Por lo menos estoy usando el iphone con mi numero 787!!!!! YES!!!!!!!! BTW tengo Windows XP y ya esta disponible el hack para Win XP en la pagina de hacktheiphone.com Have fun!

Posted by Dave on July 21, 2007 5:37 PM
  143. es posible que esas funciones no trabajen ya q el numero del 787 no tiene el Iphone data Plan. Llama a AT&T y pide q te añadan ese plan para comprobar su funcionamiento!

Posted by Apple Product Professional on July 21, 2007 5:59 PM
  144. Pregunta, alguno q haya echo este metodo ha dado restore para ver si el Iphone regresa a su estado como cuando se compro para cuando venga la activacion oficial a PR
    ??

Posted by Apple Product Professional on July 21, 2007 6:06 PM
  145. Necesito hablar con una persona de Puerto Rico que ya tenga su IPHONE con numero de afuera. Yo tengo el mio activado con numero de C.A….tengo algunas dudad en cuanto a el VOICE PLAN y me gustaria saber si me pueden ayudar….Mi numero es 951 473 4368
      Mi nombre es Tanya, si no me consiguen me dejan un voicemail, me pueden llamar a cualquier hora…AHORA MISMO SI QUIEREN smile
        gRACIAS

Posted by Tanya Rodriguez on July 22, 2007 1:01 AM
  146. Tengo un iphone y quiero activarlo con sim 787,
    si alguien sabe como activarlo que me contacte a mi email eduardo@cafeotoao.com
                        AT Eduardo Ortiz

Posted by Eduardo Ortiz on July 23, 2007 7:45 PM
  147. Eduardo, adjunto el enlace con las instrucciones para usar un SIM 787 de AT&T con el iPhone.

Posted by Dave on July 25, 2007 7:14 AM
  148. NO ME ATREVO A HACERLO YO SOLA….si hay alguien q le interesa ayudarme a poder usar mi telefono con numero de puerto rico se lo agradecere….
    Estoy dispuesta a pagar
    Mi numero es 951 473 4368
    debest74@hotmail.com

Posted by Tanya Rodriguez on July 26, 2007 12:21 AM
  149. Hello everybody! I’ve decided to write this post after reading about so many ATT customers from Puerto Rico and the USVI complaining that the iPhone is not available to be activated with local area codes numbers. Let me start by saying that ATT is breaking the law because of Apple’s disinterest to follow laws. According to FCC Ordered “Wireless to Wireless Local Number Portability” law effective November 24, 2003 all carriers should:

“First, the FCC held that wireless customers who port their numbers should have the same flexibility to switch carriers that non-porting customers have currently, even if they have not settled their account with the old carrier.  Thus, while wireless carriers may include and enforce credit requirements, early termination fees, and similar contractual provisions in their customer agreements, carriers may not refuse to port numbers upon receipt of a valid request from the customer’s new carrier.
    Second, the FCC held that wireless-to-wireless porting does not require the wireless carrier receiving the number to be directly interconnected with the wireless carrier that gives up the number or to have numbering resources in the rate center associated with the ported number.  Although wireless carriers may voluntarily negotiate interconnection agreements with one another, such agreements are not required for wireless-to-wireless porting.  In cases where wireless carriers cannot reach an agreement on the terms and conditions of porting, they must port numbers upon receipt of a valid request, with no conditions.
    Third, the FCC encouraged wireless carriers to complete simple ports within the industry- established porting interval of two and a half hours from the time the customer requests service from the new carrier.  Although the Commission did not propose to adopt the industry standard as a mandatory rule, it found no evidence that the standard was technically infeasible, and stated that it would reexamine the issue if it received numerous consumer complaints about the length of the wireless porting process.”

1) So let’s say ATT claims cannot activate area codes due that Apple decided not to sell the iPhone in Puerto Rico and USVI thru their stores.
    Irrelevant – As many of you have posted the iPhone can be obtained thru several ways: (Ebay, family members in the states, people who travel constantly, etc.)

2) The iPhone (equipment) works only in the ATT network in the US (this also includes PR and USVI).

3) ATT as an FCC approved Wireless Provider for the US (again including PR and USVI) needs to comply with the “Portability” of your number if you request for it, “with no conditions”

So if you 1) own an iPhone (approved unit to be used in ATT’s network), 2) have a number that you want to keep and request for it to be “Ported” to ATT from another carrier, it should be processed without any problem.
    Now ATT claims: “Apple is the one responsible for the activation of iPhone units using iTunes” but according to many of you, iTunes doesn’t allow for this process if you have an 787, 939 or 314 area code. By not complying with the law ATT is the one that would have to respond to the FCC is complaints are sent by customers.
    The FCC regulates wireless carriers in the US (50 states, PR and USVI).

If you would like to file a complaint against ATT visit FCC.GOV

Good Luck!

Posted by pr_tom on July 26, 2007 3:30 PM
  150. pr_tom,

Thanks a lot for your very informative post. Although laws are subject to interpretation, I think your suggestion of reporting the matter to the FCC is by far the best current alternative. I think it can have the results we are looking for.

I agree 100% that not letting switch our 787 & 939 may violate the number portability laws. Marketing CAN dictate where THEY sell the device, but once you have it they might just have to accept your current AT&T number, as you point out, without restrictions. After all, we are their current customers in a territory under the powers of the FCC and not the BCC (Banana Communications Commission).

I am going to see where we can report the complaint…

Thanks a lot for the idea!

Posted by tecnocato on July 26, 2007 4:43 PM
  151. http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/complaints.html

Posted by tecnocato on July 26, 2007 4:45 PM
  152. Go here:

You can use my complaint as a model for yours:

“Provider of cellular communications does not accept my current cellphone number for a new service because they start with area code 787 for a phone device that I recently bought (Apple’s iPhone). The activation for this device is done through the manufacturer’s software known as iTunes. The software rejects my existing phone number solely based on its area code. All phone numbers that start with area codes 787 and 939 are rejected by the manufacturer’s software and by the service carrier (AT&T). This is in violation of Telecommunications Act of 2001.”

Posted by tecnocato on July 26, 2007 5:01 PM
  153. (minus the typo)

[:o)

Posted by tecnocato on July 26, 2007 5:02 PM
  154. Everyone, check out my report on using the iPhone in Puerto Rico here,

Posted by Hadley Stern on July 27, 2007 5:04 AM
  155. Anyone knows if the iPhone plans are available for Puerto Rico? I have an iPhone activated with my 787 but need to add the data plan. I want the $20 data/txt plan to my voice plan.

Posted by Mickey on July 27, 2007 9:28 AM
  156. Mickey, what have you tried so far? Have you check if it is possible to change/add a data plan at the online account manager or asked for help at a AT&T store?  Has anybody activated an iPhone with a 787 based account that already has a data plan included?

Posted by Ro bert Richard on July 27, 2007 9:44 AM
  157. I have a $30 plan that is unlimited data and 1500 sms. I had it on the palm and am using it for the iPhone.

Posted by Steven on July 27, 2007 9:55 AM
  158. I have just activated my Iphone using the iAsign software in conjuction with other procedures listed in the www.hacktheiphone.com website. It works wonderfully with everything. I have a 787 sim with a business account and it does the trick. If you want your current 787 SIM to work with the iphone this is the only method that I know of, and truly works. I did it myself an hour ago and I’m still amazed. The only features that don’t work are the Visual Voicemail and YouTube. I think I can live with that. The activation process is a little technical and you need to be very comfortable around the terminal application on the Mac. If you can deal with it it is a breeze.

Happy 787 Activations!!!!

Posted by Carlanga on July 27, 2007 2:50 PM
  159. alguien ha llamado a AT&T luego de hacer la activacion del 787 para poner el iphone data plan? es una buena pregunta se supone q te lo pongan pq si no pierden…. alguien puede intentarlo??? q lo postee

Posted by Apple Product Professional on August 2, 2007 2:56 PM
  160. Yo se lo a~adi el mio….tengo el MEDIA MAX con 200 mensages de texto

Posted by Tanya Rodriguez on August 2, 2007 4:53 PM
  161. si pero sigue sin transjar con todas sus funciones….lo ideal seria el iphone data plan. Alguien a intentado llamar para ponerlo?

Posted by Jyan desdd su iPhone on August 2, 2007 6:58 PM
  162. No hay nada que requiere el iphone data plan. De que estas hablando cuando dices “todas sus funciones”?

Posted by S on August 2, 2007 7:25 PM
  163. A lo q me refiero, es que si se lograra poner el iphone data plan, podrias activarlo con itunes y poder utilizar el visual voice mail y el youtube del telefono. Recuerda que cuando lo activas por iSing no trabajan esas dos funciones. Y digo AT&T puede bloquiarte el activarlo, pero si ya esta activado supongo q no les moleste lol, y cuando activas con itunes si ya eres cliente lo que verifica es ese plan.

Posted by Apple Product Professional on August 2, 2007 7:30 PM
  164. Si llamas a ATT te conectan el visual voicemail, he intercambiado emails con una persona q ya lo hice y le funciona….Y en cuanto a lo de utube, puedo estar sin el, de todas formas cuando podia usarlo (cuando tenia el numero de C.A. ) la cantidad de videos q se podian ver era minima y se tardaban un poco, prefiero bajarlos y tenerlos en el ipod…pero el q no pueda vivir sin eso pues deberia buscar la manera de activar el youtube

Posted by Tanya Rodriguez on August 2, 2007 9:43 PM
  165. Tengo un compañero de trabajo q lo activo con un numero de NY y hoy rompio el comtrato y hiso uno de PR y la activacion de tecnetico.com… lo interesante es que el youtube le trabajo, alguien q haya activado el telefono anteriormente pruebe a ver si una vez activaz el telefono anteriormente y activaz con iAsing trabaja el youtube…. si es asi, podriamos tener el telefono por ompleto y aque si se puede llamar y poner el visual voice mail…. pues seria full….

Posted by Apple Product Professional on August 3, 2007 10:18 PM
  166. Yo por lo menos lo tenia con numero de C.A. y no me ha funcionado el YOUTUBE, pero intentare denuevo a ver

Posted by Tanya Rodriguez on August 4, 2007 1:18 AM
  167. voy a preguntarle a ver si tienen algun data plan en especia y ver pq le trabajo. les contare

Posted by Apple Product Professional on August 4, 2007 5:40 AM
  168. I got YouTube working on my phone again after Iasign by doing a total software restore through itunes. Just plug your phone in, let it sync, then go to the reset menu on your phone under general options. Let it erase, then go to through the software restore process and then reload everything. Youtube should work now. Just be sure you save any text messages and pics you’ve taken on the phone, and be sure you have an unlimited Media Max plan through AT&T, or else it might get expensive. Youtube will work through WIFI as well. Good luck!

Posted by Juanito de Puerto Rico on August 4, 2007 3:08 PM
  169. Interesting News people! I updated my iPhone (which was modded with iAsign) with the new software. I had to restore everything and go through jailbreak, iphoneinterface and iAsign again. Also had to re enter my modded ringtones and graphics using the method of hacktheiphone.com. Now it is perfectly working with my 787 number as before but guess what??? YouTube works fine now!!!! Still not able to use visual voicemail but You Tube works and with the previous software (1.0) it did not work. In other words do not be afraid to upgrade to software 1.0.1 since you will be even better than before. At least that is my experience. Enjoy!
    Dave…

Posted by Dave on August 5, 2007 4:14 PM
  170. By the way look for firmware upgrade in hacktheiphone.com, it will guide you throughout the process. I was afraid to break the phone but it did not happen. Also before doing the software upgrade process be sure to change the SIM card to the one that came with the iPhone. Do not use the one with the 787 or you will get stuck in the process. Install the SIM with the 787 only after the upgrade is finished and the iPhone is restored. Remember that at that time you have to go through jailbreak, iphoneinterface and iAsign again in order for the iPhone to be activated with a 787 area code. Being there, suffer that, but now I am happy as hell with my iPhone! You Tube now works fine! Good Luck people!    Dave….

Posted by Dave on August 5, 2007 4:23 PM
  171. Gente, alguien sabra la fecha en que el i phone llega a Puerto Rico? Tengo dudas en comprar uno y desbloquearlo y que despues llegue, como quien dice en ley, y que a mi conectandolo por aca no me funcione al 100%

Posted by Ramon Rivas on August 6, 2007 10:11 AM
  172. ramon,

You can always restore the phone to new using the iTunes restore function.

Posted by steven on August 6, 2007 12:56 PM
  173. People, today I went into my AT&T account to verify the current options within my rate plan and guess what I couldnt modify any of the options because (a copy/paste of the error message I got):

“F999: Due to temporary technical issues, you can view your current features as an iPhone customer, but you are not able to add or remove features online at this time. If you would like to add or remove a feature, please call Customer Care at (800) 331-0500 or you may contact our Click to Chat group from 8:00am to 11:45pm EST for assistance with this process”

AT&T KNOWS THAT I AM CURRENTLY USING AN iPHONE.  KEEP IN MIND THAT I ACTIVATED MY iPHONE FOR THE USE OF MY CURRENT AT&T ACCOUNT WITH A 787 ACCOUNT.

Posted by RR on August 7, 2007 9:53 AM
  174. Dave,

Did you follow the iasign instruction on this page:

When I reactivate after the upgrade I don’t end up with a working youtube. Anything special? Is your 787 sim card a newer 3g one or the older cingular type? I have gone through the process several times but I have no clue what the magic step is to end up with a working youtube. In all honesty youtube is the function I could care less about but it would be nice to have the phone fully functional.

Thanks

Posted by Steven on August 7, 2007 5:26 PM
  175. Alparecer tiene q ver con el SIM que sea de ATT Vs el de cingular 3g… todos los que le ha funcionado es pq tienen el de ATT. Pueden buscar uno de gratis si tienes uno de cingular. prueben a ver

Posted by Juanito de Puerto Rico on August 7, 2007 8:38 PM
  176. Yo tengo el SIM card nuevo de ATT q es 3G pero no me funciona youtube asi q no creo q sea el sim card…..    :(

Posted by Tanya Rodriguez on August 7, 2007 8:47 PM
  177. Steven

I have the new SIM card 3G from AT&T and frankly YouTube works in my iPhone but I did the same process in a friend’s iPhone but it did not work. She has a Cingular 3G SIM card. The thing is that my iPhone was originally “legally” activated using a Georgia area code (706). You Tube worked fine with the original SIM and area code 706. I did my first hacking having software 1.0 and You Tube no longer worked with my SIM from area code 787. Then I updated to software 1.0.1 and had to go through the whole hacking process again and now, to my surprise, You Tube works again. My friend had her iPhone right from the box, she never activated it “legally”. That and the fact that she has a Cingular SIM are the only differences in the process. So if you ask me, I do not know why the hell You Tube works fine in my phone and not in hers!
    Dave…

Posted by Dave on August 8, 2007 7:35 PM
  178. I have the same situation as RR. Somehow AT&T knows that I have an iPhone working with a 787 SIM card (originally activated using a Samsung Blackjack). I can not longer make changes to my plan using the internet access. Interesting…. Anyway I don’t give a damn. I enjoy everytime an AT&T representative marvels as how I use an iPhone with a 787 SIM. They still believe it is impossible! yeah sure…. So much for helping me when I asked it!
    Dave…

Posted by Dave on August 8, 2007 7:42 PM
  179. Tanya

Has probado instalar la nueva version de software (1.0.1) en tu iPhone? Vas a tener que pasar por todo el proceso de “hacking” otra vez pero a mi me funciona You Tube luego de instalar el update. Entiendo que activaste originalmente con area code de USA continental. Tratalo y nos dejas saber por favor. Gracias.
    Dave….

Posted by Dave on August 8, 2007 7:47 PM
  180. Dave,

Yeah I hear you.. Mine was legally activated with a 617 number and 1.0 software. After the hack and a non 3g (787) cingular sim You Tube does not work. Went through the process several times and even reactivated the 617 # and original sim but after reapplying the hack you tube does not work. Who knows…..

On my page at ATT I can also see they know I am using an iPhone. Really funny if you think about it. I am more then willing to legally activate it and take whatever plan they want to shove down my throat if they would just let me.

Steven

Posted by Steven on August 8, 2007 7:51 PM
  181. How do u guys now that THEY know you are using the iphone?

Posted by Tanya Rodriguez on August 8, 2007 8:02 PM
  182. Because I am Using it, dah!... Hello and with a 787 read the news!

Posted by Juanito de Puerto Rico on August 8, 2007 8:06 PM
  183. Bueno, yo tambien estoy usando mi iphone, y yo no he tenido ningun problema en la pagina. Solo pregunte que razones, ellos tenian para pensar que no podian accesar o hacer cambios en su cuenta por internet solo pq estan usando un iphone…podia ser que les enviaron un email o algo por el estilo..Steven comenta arriba que en SU cuenta el puede ver que ellos saben que el esta usando el iphone…quisas le dejaron algun tipo de AVISO….A eso es a lo q me referia, gracias por la hostilidad

Posted by Tanya Rodriguez on August 8, 2007 8:19 PM
  184. Dave:
      No, no he intentado darle el UPDATE, pq voy a tener que pasar el proceso de activacion de nuevo y la persona q me lo activo con 787 vive un poco lejos de mi casa, pero en cuanto pueda lo intentare.
      Gracias

Posted by Tanya Rodriguez on August 8, 2007 8:24 PM
  185. ok, sorry tanya es solo q como lo expresastes en ingles sonaba como un novato o un empleado de ATT en Puerto Rico que preguntaba q como saben que el Iphone trabaja en Puerto Rico… es q en ocaciones llamas y ellos piensan de que no se puede usar y saca un poco. pero nada en relacion a como ellos saben, resulta q si cambias el telefono en tu pag principal al iphone, no podras cambiar los features… pero si pones cualquier otro como un LG o algo asi, te deja manera el full manage de tu cuenta… ellos realmente no les importa si lo usan, recuera de q es totalmente legal, incluso puedes llamar y pedir que te pongan un Iphone data plan y lo hacen…. no les molesta ni te pondran un aviso ya lo verifique… en cuanto a la activacion, te recomiendo que la hagas tu en persona… no es tan complicado si sigues los pasos de tecnetico.com, deveras te los recomiendo…

PS sorry por sonar hostil orita, missundestgandig LoL

Posted by Juanito de Puerto Rico on August 8, 2007 8:35 PM
  186. Que Sim Card tienes de cingular o ATT?

Posted by Juanito de Puerto Rico on August 8, 2007 8:36 PM
  187. Confirmado… Si tienes un SIM card ue dig AT&T trabaja YOUTUBE

Posted by Juan on August 11, 2007 10:22 AM
  188. Hola, mi Hermana esta este fin de semana en Miami. Llame a una tienda de apple alla y la persona con la que hable me dijo que no habia problema en comprar el telefono alla y que se supone que en at&t en PR me lo activaran. No se que sierto sea por que tambien llame a una tienda at&t em miami y me dijeron que si ella iba a la tienda me lo activaban con mi cuenta actual. Me inmagino que le ponian el data plan y me renovaban el contrato. Comoquiera lo mande a comprar. Me gustaria activarlo con ellos para que me funcionara al 100% pero si no lo desbloqueo. Si saben de algo escriban.

Posted by Ramon on August 12, 2007 7:51 PM
  189. Eso es tremenda noticia… parece que están concientes de que están obligados a activarlo para cumplir con la ley de portabilidad. Llamaré aquí a ver que nos dicen.

Posted by tecnocato on August 12, 2007 9:20 PM
  190. Tecnocato, perdona si te iluscione pero cuando llame hoy al 611 local, otra vez me vinieron con que no se puede activar. Apple es el que les tiene la traba a AT&T en Puerto Rico por que ya saben que los estan activando. Ellos son los que pierden por que despues que uno lo activa por aca, para que va a renovar contrato. Comoquiera el mio me llega manana lo desbloqueare y espero que me funcione todo lo mas posible. Seguiremos con la pelea.

Posted by Ramon on August 13, 2007 1:05 PM
  191. Saludos a mi gente de PR. Estoy usando no iphone “hacktivated” roaming en Chile. Trabaja a las mil maravillas. Estoy roaming usando el servicio de movistar. YouTube no me funciona aun.

Posted by carlanga on August 13, 2007 9:56 PM
  192. you have the right to file a complaint with the FCC, as AT&T will not allow you to keep your current phone number when switching phone companies or when staying with AT&T. Who knows, maybe they’ll get enough complaints to do something.

FCC form:

Posted by mark on September 30, 2007 9:35 PM
  193. Gregory,

One problem we have here in Puerto Rico is people thinking they are better than everyone else which comes from being way too proud, which I cant argue, I am proud to be Puerto Rican but some people take it over the top. As you can see the iPhone still HAS NOT BEEN RELEASED FOR PUERTO RICO and the first comments you got from idiots that think with their ass are completely unfounded.

We should be receiving the iPhone next year the same as other international countries.

Thanks.

Posted by Pedro on October 28, 2007 3:57 PM
  194. “We should be receiving the iPhone next year the same as other international countries” - Gregory

That’s just the argument. Puerto Rico is not an international country. It is part of the U.S. and should be included as part of the U.S. in the product release. Ever called Apple customer support from Puerto Rico? You get Mexico. I think the people at Apple just don’t know their geography.

Posted by BILL on November 6, 2007 12:15 PM
  195. Comes November and still no IPhone. Do they think we are stupid?

I am cancelling my cingular contract RIGHT NOW.

We can die in war with them, but we can’t get a stupid phone on the same dates as the continental USA> WE HAVE USA ZIPCODES AND AREA CODES. WTH? The creeps…

Posted by GETTING RID OF CINGULAR on November 9, 2007 10:47 AM
  196. The carterfone landmark decision is needed to stop the abuse and racketeering of the wireless MAFIA.

But only everyone of you is needed to force the FCC to act now.

Take a look at the following link.

Search the web for -cartefone cellular- and get involve via messages to the FCC.

Posted by J Ho on November 24, 2007 5:00 AM
  197. I just activated my Out of the Box, Firmware 1.1.2 iPhone on iTunes with my 787 number. Try it.

Posted by Saxton on December 25, 2007 9:28 PM
  198. Can anybody confirm this?

Posted by steven on December 26, 2007 4:09 PM
  199. I’m waiting for someone else to confirm this also but mine is still working fine.

Posted by Saxton on December 28, 2007 8:55 PM
  200. i activated my new iphone using itunes, the plan still the same but have to add a 20 dlrs iphone plan to the contract, everything works great!

Posted by kermit on December 29, 2007 3:09 AM
  201. I received an iPhone as a present and was able to activate my 787 number through iTunes without problems after running a restore on the phone.  I was already a Cingular customer but had to add the $20 data plan.  The whole process took about 5 minutes.  All of the features including visual voicemail and youTube work here in PR.

Posted by fernan on December 30, 2007 7:26 PM
  202. Hi!
    I was just wondering if I bought an iphone from ebay that says that is unlocked and it works worlwide, I could use it in Puerto Rico with my area code(787)?

Someone PLEASE Tell Me!!
    Thanks!

Posted by Luis Mi on January 3, 2008 10:43 PM
  203. Dudes Personas, u can and will be told u can use the iphone in PR u cant buy it in PR yet but u can have it in PR, u cant however use the internet to FULL CAPACITY, u can youtube, they arent going to tell you no when thats a main part of there campaign, but u cant use a full ipod, a friend of mine went to Washington DC with his $600 and an already customer of AT&T and they told him that, u cant use the internet completely for sattelites havent gone to reach PR, its ok to understand im Puerto Rican studying en el Colegio A.K.A. University of Puerto Rico Mayaguez A.K.A. RUM that even though it can be a doubtful story but that Sattelites can be dispatched to big continents and BIG MONEY CUSTOMERS continents like the USA Britain, its not racist its understandable supplyers will first sell out to get theres money worth and then to the neighbors, PR, it happens with games and other shit all the time, the PS3 the 360 just sit and w8 for the whole iphone package to come to PR, my friend bought the ipod touch and will buy the iphone when it officialy is supported in PR

ps
    when u think iphone in pr, think changing the ToS to fit pr, think of new campaign propaganda to pr think sending another sattelite, dumbasses the iphone is new why the hell would there first customers be an island smaller than rhode island, think about damn mexico, more peeps, im not racist to PRs im a PR but i can think in terms of money making and the kind of job it is to dispatch to one island,,,,,,,obviously u dispatch to big places then EXPAND to smaller places, and working as an AT&T rep, ist the same credibility as the creators, or the Campaign managers u tell the customer wat they tell u to tell

Posted by Juan Ma on January 4, 2008 5:09 PM
  204. Has anyone else done the activation of a 787 through ITUNES without any problems???

Posted by Aracelis on January 8, 2008 9:44 AM
  205. Al final de este mensaje he incluido una version en español para evitar problemas de idioma.
    At the bottom of this message I have included a spanish version to prevent language misunderstanting.

Some of the posts here make me sick.  I cant believe there is still people arguing about the iPhone limitation on the Puertorrican AT&T network.

THE IPHONE IS FULLY OPERATIONAL IN PUERTO RICO!!!!!!

I live in Puerto Rico and have had an iPhone since the 1st week of August with my two year old 787 area code Cingular/AT&T account.  My 787 iPhone is fully operational, that means phone, visual voicemail, internet (EDGE & WiFi), iPod, you tube, everything works.  The experience with a 787 iPhone will be the exact same thing as any USA based area code number. How? You have to jailbreak the phone and unlock it. You will NOT be able to activate thru iTunes using 787/939 area codes. There have been jailbreaking methods since August.  After unlocking the phone, I called AT&T service line and added the iPhone data plan In fact you should (I havent done it myself) be able to use an iPhone in Puerto Rico with other SIM Card base carriers (maybe would not have the visual voicemail thing).

Bottom line I can assure you that the iPhone is fully operational in PR.  In fact Im willing to sell my iPhone on face-to-face transaction, just pop in your SIM Card and get going. The glass cover is cracked (two hairline cracks that comes from the lower right corner to the lower left side) after an accidental fall. You need to take a cose look to the notice them.  Anyone interested?

——————————————————————————-

Algunas de las cosas mencionadas aqui me sacan por el techo. No puedo creer que todavia halla gente argumentando las limitaciones del iPhone en el systema de AT&T/Cingular en Puerto Rico.

EL IPHONE TRABAJA A TODA CAPACIDAD EN PUERTO RICO!!!!

Vivo en PR y he utilizado un iPhone desde agosto junto a my cuenta de Cingular/AT&T activada hace mas de dos años con codigo de area 787.  Mi iPhone 787 es completamente operacional; es decir, todas las funciones del telefono, correo de voz visual, internet (EDGE & WiFi), you tube, etc. funcionan a la perfeccion.  La experiencia de utilizar un iPhone 787 es la misma que con cualquier otro codigo de area de Estados Unidos. Como? Hay que ejecutar un “jailbreak” y liberar el telefono. NO podras activar el telefono a traves de iTunes utilizando area codes de Puerto Rico.  Desde agosto existen metodos para lograrlo, estos metodos se han simplificado con el tiempo.  Despues de liberar el telefono, yo llame a AT&T y añadi la opcion de datos para iPhone. Es mas, con los metodos de liberaci’on actuales se puede utilizar el telefono con cualquier proveedor de servicio celular que utilice tarjeta SIM (yo no lo he probado en mi telefono, entiendo que el unico servicio no disponible es el de correo de voz visual).

En resumen, yo les aseguro que el iPhone funciona en plena capacidad con codigos de area de Puerto Rico.  es mas, estoy dispuesto a vender mi telefono en una transaccion cara a cara para que puedan probarlo, solo inserte su tarjeta SIM y siga andando. La cubierta de cristal esta rota (dos lineas finas como cabellos que van desde la parte inferior derecha hasta el lado inferior izquierdo) debido a una caida. Para darse cuenta de esto tiene que mirar detenidamente la unidad pues son casi imperceptibles.

Posted by Robert Diaz on January 8, 2008 4:00 PM
  206. Just 2 confirm the 787 activation WITH itunes…....

Posted by Aracelis on January 22, 2008 11:47 PM
  207. If I were to get a new iphone with a 1.1.3 firmware, would I be able to activate it with a 787 number through itunes? Also, will I be able to get the iphone plans when I’m transferring my number?

Posted by Chino on February 8, 2008 12:29 AM
  208. People, please read post # 205;  787/939 activations through iTunes are NOT possible with any firmware/baseband.

NOBODY [well, Steve Jobs may wink] will be able to activate any iPhone though iTunes with a 787/939 phone account.

Apple Inc systems are not configure to allow Puertorican area codes, zip codes, nothing!!!!

I can help to “hackactivate” any iPhone to a 787/939 AT&T account.  Diaz.RobertRichard_at_gmail

Posted by Robert R. Díaz on February 8, 2008 10:44 AM
  209. I’m wondering if the people saying that you cannot activate with a 787/939 area code have actually tried it.

Again, I activated my virgin 1.1.2 firmware iPhone through iTunes using my 787 number and San Juan address. I had to accept a new 2 year contract and the $20/mo data plan just like everyone else. I’ve since updated to 1.1.3 without problems. I’ll show you if you want to meet up in San Juan.

Worked for me, that’s all I can say.

Posted by Saxton on February 8, 2008 11:29 AM
  210. Saxton I (who posted iPhones can’t be activated through iTunes without USA area codes / address) was not able to activate through iTunes.  I “hacktivated” the phone with my 787 AT&T sim card.  How can you prove you didn’t “hacktivated” your phone?

Posted by Robert R. Diaz on February 8, 2008 1:26 PM
  211. There is many ATT stores in the island selling the iPhone “under the counter” usually for an $100/$150 ditional to the regular price since the hack was available. Some stores would open a new account with ATT. You just have to ask, mine has a FL area code. From Ebay activated June 22 in itunes store at my house in PR wth a Mio card with a FL address.

Phone works also with Suncom, but not all features woork.

Visit www.tecnetico.com for more information.

Posted by noel on February 11, 2008 6:21 AM
  212. THE iPHONE DOES NOT EXIST IN PUERTO RICO!  AT LEAST NOT FOR NOW AND NOT FOR THE NEXT YEAR!  IN ANY ATT STORES….HOWEVER IF YOU HAVE THE RIGHT CONECCTIONS YOULL FIND IT UNDERGROUND….AND IF YOU DO FIND IT YES U CAN ACTIVATE IT WITH A 787 CODE WITHOUT JAILBREAKING IT…AND YES IT WORKS 100% ..THANK YOU.BY THE WAY I WORK IN ATT WIRELESS IN GUAYNABO! BYE BYE

Posted by Axel Gonzalez Rivera on February 24, 2008 8:45 PM
  213. YOU CAN ACTIVATE THE IPHONE LEGALLY THROUGH ITUNES IN PUERTO RICO WITH YOUR PUERTO RICO ACCOUNT OR WITH A NEW ACCOUNT WITH 787. APPLE HAS OPENED THE GATES AND ATT IS COMPLYING. VISUAL VOICEMAIL WORKS PERFECTLY BUT YOU HAVE TO TALK TO ATT SUPPORT FOR THEM TO “SWITCH IT”” ON. DON’T KNOW WHEN THEY ARE GOING TO SELL IT IN PR BUT THEY HAVE HAD IT IN STOCK SINCE DECEMBER 2ND.
    NOW I’M USING MINE LEGALLY, IS GOOD TO BE LEGAL!!!!

Posted by juan aleman on February 27, 2008 5:10 AM
  214. I have posted seevral times sharing my iPhone experience with other people.  There have been some recent posts claiming that the iPhone can be activated through iTunes using 787 area codes and PR addresses.

Please prove it!

I have proven each and every fact that I poseted.  Im enjoying my iPhone out of the Apple totallitarian setup; however, I know of a lot of people that are waiting to do otherwise because hacking the phone scares the shit out of them.

Posted by Robert Diaz on February 28, 2008 4:35 PM
  215. Robert, what do you mean prove it?
    Just connect your virgin Iphone to Itunes,activate it with your puerto rico adress and you’ve got your Iphone working. It is pretty simple, dont you think?

Posted by juan aleman on February 29, 2008 1:49 PM
  216. Also Robert, I had a problem with my visual voicemail when I legally activated my Iphone and i called apple tech support. Not only they helped me, but they got in contact with ATT tech support who finally was able to fix my problem, all with my 787 IPHONE

Posted by juan aleman on February 29, 2008 3:01 PM
  217. Robert,
    I know 4 people know who have activated their iPhones with 787 area code numbers. One issue may be that in my case, I had the iTunes store set up with paypal. All of the people who I know with iPhones “legally” activated here in PR either had the iTunes store set up with paypal or with a credit card with a US address. I’m not sure that’s the limiting factor but that’s what I know.

Posted by Saxton on February 29, 2008 4:03 PM
  218. I just activate 2 iphones using itunes with the 787 area code. and i don’t even need an itunes account, now you have the option of skipping the itunes account requirement. Just had to add the $20 data plant and that’s it! everything worked fine.

Posted by john on March 8, 2008 10:15 AM
  219. Thanks to the stinky ELA ATT could not offer the Iphone in PR because is not a state and it’s considered part of Latin America so Mexican mogul Carlos Slim bought all rights to distribute the Iphone on Latin America so it will be offered by Claro in PR. Still you can by one from ATT and activate it and have a local (787) area code

Posted by The Ripper on May 8, 2008 9:45 AM
  220. Any of you know when will be available the iphone on Claro (Puerto Rico)?

Posted by Manolo on May 26, 2008 11:13 PM