Weekly Reader Question: Who Do You Trust More, Apple Or Google?

Posted September 21, 2009 4:00 AM by Tanner Godarzi
Categories: Opinions

After the recent debacle between Apple and Google over allowing Google Voice in App Store, there has been a back and forth argument of who caused what. Apple claims that it’s still studying Google’s Voice App but the search engine giant argues the opposite: that Phill Schiller himself rang up Google saying that it wouldn’t allow a native Google Voice App on the iPhone. While the issue is being sorted out between the two with some kind intervention from the FCC, we’d like to get your take on the issue: do you still trust Apple to approve a Google Voice compatible App or is Google’s claim more than enough App Store drama? Sound off in the comments.

Comments

1. I trust google way more than I trust apple. The fact of the matter is google as a company has been consistent in its information to the public and apple swaggers a little like Microsoft.

Posted by Gregory Xcellence on September 21, 2009 11:10 AM
  2. Google by a landslide.  I put Apple in the same bucket as Enron when it comes to transparency and ethical conduct.

Posted by Holden SF on September 21, 2009 12:29 PM
  3. Google all the way.

Posted by brodezoe on September 21, 2009 1:50 PM
  4. Hate to say it, but Google;  Recently I had a glitch with Apple in their communications to me that cost me a delay in repairs and a long drive. On the other hand, Google is not selling me a computer and then is responsible for warranty, nor do they have direct hassle with the clients as is the case with Apple, etc.
    Overall, I am quite satisfied with Apple; the computer I own is working very well and Apple has followed through (albeit a little miscommunicated) with their warranty and other phone troubleshooting problems. I spend about 5 hours on the average repairing my PC and only an hour at most on the average with my Mac.

Posted by Ed Maher on September 21, 2009 2:12 PM
  5. Google all the way almost every thing they do is open source if you suspect foul play look at the source code. Apple is the exact opposit im no even allowed to decide what apps im allowed to use and fixing the hard ware is a pain.  As soon as i buy a product it is mine no interferwnce from the corperation. Apples just scared because now nobodys gunna use at&t or the iphone cus google voice and andriod are way better.

Posted by orangebliss9 on September 21, 2009 4:55 PM
  6. I would trust Google more right now, they have done some funny things like pulling internet tethering apps from their market, but apple seems to impose more than Google.  For now, let the battles continue!

~Dean

Posted by Visual Site Monitor on September 21, 2009 8:40 PM
  7. I’m going to take a contrary position and say I trust Apple more than Google. Maybe it’s a bit of the “devil you know” versus the one you don’t. Apple is insular and colloquial in its practices: Steve Jobs has been consistently “closed” system and “walled garden” in his approach to Apple technology and services, right from the first Mac.

Meanwhile, Google has been consistently about “own everything”, including not just Internet content and apps, but also your personal information and behaviors. No one alive today is closer to “big brother” than Google.

Trust has to go beyond who you think is right or wrong in a dispute - frankly, since each of them has something to gain by winning, I can’t see logic in trusting one over the other. In the long run, though, trust should be built on more than just one debate.

Posted by geode on September 21, 2009 8:48 PM
  8. In this particular case I would have to side with Apple. Google is basically trying to replace Apple core telephony service with its own ; basically use all of Apple’s hardware and software innovation to promote Google Voice . Apple has the right to reconsider such apps.
    While GV might be attractive since its free, Google is slowly expanding its monopoly while gathering more traffic to reap ad revenue. ( similar to how google is trying monopolize library system by scanning books and newspapers ).

Posted by Josh on September 21, 2009 10:41 PM
  9. “Apple has the right to reconsider such apps.”

Since you seem to concede that Apple DID reject the app despite their claims, then you concede that Apple is lying.  How can you then argue that you trust the company that is lying over the one telling the truth?

As for rejecting apps that compete or duplicate functionality, I think that’s the problem with Apple controlling everything from soup to nuts on the iPhone.  Imagine if Apple banned all competing browsers from their OS X platform and only let you run Safari.  Would you really be okay with that?

Posted by beeblebrox on September 22, 2009 12:31 PM
  10. Google,of course! Google is more consistent with everything they do..thought a hundred times before releasing anything!

Posted by baby crib on September 22, 2009 8:03 PM
  11. Google is the answear!The Google web search engine is the company’s most popular service.And my favourite I must say!

Posted by Lea Relazioni on September 29, 2009 8:15 AM
  12. Of course Apple !!!

I fully agree apple way to control release on the store, there is no other way to enforce quality & reliability on their devices, even if bad side effects may occurs.

Google is trying to rule the numeric world, putting market metrics everywhere to extends their monopoly and revenues.

Posted by SamFloppy on October 5, 2009 2:36 AM