Oh Look, T-Mobile Unlocking iPhones! (PIC Included)

Posted September 22, 2007 9:48 PM by Tanner Godarzi
Categories: Hacks News

So imagine my surprise when I walk out of the Apple Store and I see a T-Mobile Authorized Reseller in Kiosk form sporting this sign every so boldly near the realm of Apple: “We unlock iPhones!”

image

This was at the Fashion Island Apple Store in Newport Beach, CA (Apple Link) and if you’ve ever ventured there you’ll know that in addition to the regular brick and mortar stores, there’s a lot of kiosks in the open areas that resemble covered wagons on the oregon trail more than anything that generates money. I walked by the T-Mobile authorized reseller and noticed this little gem above but I didn’t get a chance to ask what method this dude was using. Also accessories were available, nothing special though.

Comments

1. someone’s getting fired..

Posted by Ian on September 23, 2007 3:00 PM
  2. Awesome scoop guys, this is why I love iPhone Matters!

Posted by dale on September 23, 2007 4:32 PM
  3. It is not illegal…........ why would anyone get fired?

Posted by Jarrett on September 23, 2007 6:15 PM
  4. This one is great.

T-Mobile is like the haviest phone company in EU, but still not creative enough. And now this ! I hope the execs at Apple will get the clue and open their phone to the freedom of choice loving public.

Yours Sincerely.

Posted by Maxim Titovan on September 23, 2007 7:17 PM
  5. I don’t get why the iPhone isn’t unlocked.  Steve Jobs said in 1997 after announcing that Internet explorer was the default brower on the mac “since we believe in choice, we will be providing other browsers on the mac”  Just check out the macworld boston video from 1997, you’ll hear it.  GIVE US iPHONE ON EVERYTHING, I NEED IT FOR ALLTEL!

Posted by Andrew on September 23, 2007 8:23 PM
  6. Quick, make a new law that prohibits anyone from modifying items they bought and own.  wink

Posted by Dave Greiman on September 23, 2007 11:43 PM
  7. Apple has contracted AT&T to provide service for the time being. It’s all about AT&T using the product to boost their sales, and they’ve payed for that right (and probably a lot, too). For a “COMPANY” that contracts T-Mobile as their service provider for their customers, providing iPhones under their service (or the ability to modify the iPhone to utilize another service like T-Mobile) would infringe upon both Apple and AT&T’s agreement, and would be certain grounds for legal action. It is totally different than a single consumer purchasing an iPhone and doing god knows what to it on his/her own. Perhaps at most, they would void their warranty if anything at all.

Posted by iPhony on September 24, 2007 2:01 AM
  8. This is where the Apple legal department is going to come in.  It is one thing for an individual to be unlocking his or her phone, but when another cell company is advertising that they will unlock it… that is just asking for trouble.

Posted by Chris on September 24, 2007 9:25 AM
  9. “GIVE US iPHONE ON EVERYTHING, I NEED IT FOR ALLTEL!”... Um yeah, Alltel is a CDMA network.  The iPhone runs on a GSM and always will.  Move to AT&T if you want it so bad.

Posted by Brian on September 24, 2007 9:35 AM
  10. “Quick, make a new law that prohibits anyone from modifying items they bought and own.”

It’s called the DCMA!

Posted by Buya on September 24, 2007 1:13 PM
  11. Sorry, I mistyped. It’s the DMCA - Digital Millennium Copyright Act

Posted by Buya on September 24, 2007 1:14 PM
  12. Actually…Jobs did announce an iPhone for non-gsm networks, and said it would be coming soon.

Posted by someone on September 25, 2007 9:35 AM
  13. Actually one of my friends first read this article and asked me to visit this page. This article has very useful information, it will be helpful for many. Thank you so much for your help and for your efforts.

Thanks,
    Alex

Posted by Alex on October 9, 2007 5:42 PM
  14. I fail to see the benefit, other than a business deal between Apple and AT&T, T-Mobile and Orange who have been given exclusivity so far, of the iPhone being locked. Surely they would have sold many millions more had the phone been offered by all networks in all countries and people can just chose between all the networks ‘special features’ to decide which to chose?

I am in South Africa and know we will probably never get it here, legitimately anyway!, because we still don’t have an iTunes store and we seem to be on the bottom of the world’s lists when it comes to releasing technology.

Why not sell it unlocked to whoever wants it and let’s all be happy!

Posted by Seth on October 18, 2007 8:55 AM
  15. They here to suck $$$, not to make People Happy!

Posted by ken on October 23, 2007 1:00 PM
  16. Well they won’t get to suck my $$$$ by trying to tie me into some mickey mouse contract, so just gonna screw them by getting it unlocked and using my current contract!

Posted by Seth on October 23, 2007 1:11 PM
  17. yszbydtc  yxwbkfrl  kwmjubnz http://udkchsgg.com ntpjzkpg opnfnsds

Posted by jeypwaip on November 10, 2007 10:30 AM
  18. So here’s a question—after availing myself of one of the several iPhone unlocking methods, would I be able to take advantage of the web-browsing, e-mail, and other Internet-related features of an iPhone if using T-Mobile?  Of course “visual voicemail” wouldn’t work, but who cares?  I just want to make sure that if I go to the trouble of getting an unlocked phone, that most of the relevant features will work.  Thanks!

Posted by Mischa on January 21, 2008 8:29 PM
  19. @ Mischa, everything will work besides Visual Voicemail.

Posted by Tanner Godarzi on January 21, 2008 8:47 PM